Did you ever have pain, or a rash bothering you but you didn’t want to go to the trouble of getting it checked out? Chances are it went away on its own, and you forgot about it. A lot of us put off going to the doctor, even when we think there is something wrong. But a doctor can tell you if it is nothing to worry about or a sign of something more serious.
Here are 10 seemingly minor symptoms you shouldn’t ignore:
- Pitted or Ridged Nails may be an early sign of the skin condition psoriasis.
- Swollen “sausage-like” fingers are sometimes an indication of a type of arthritis called “psoriatic arthritis.”
- Firm lumps near your joints, especially your elbows, can be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis. Since these lumps aren't painful, people often ignore them.
- Indigestion or Hiccups that won’t go away are associated with cancers of the esophagus or stomach or lung.
- Persistent cough or hoarseness are also sometimes signs of lung or larynx cancer.
- Unexplained weight loss of 10 pounds or more sometimes accompanies cancers, especially those of the pancreas, stomach, esophagus, or lung.
- Craving for non-food items like ice can be an indication you are anemic.
- Frequent Urination or Excessive Thirst are common early symptoms of Type II Diabetes
- Always Feeling Cold could mean you have an underactive thyroid gland.
- Dry White Patches on Your Tongue may mean that you have celiac disease – an auto-immune disorder marked by an intolerance to wheat gluten.
Keep in mind, even if you have one or more of symptoms, it might not mean anything is wrong. The only way to tell for sure is to see your doctor. But if it is a sign of something more serious, early detection can often make all the difference. --reprinted from a blog article published by synergyhomecare.com.
SYNERGY HomeCare of Arlington is here to help you with any questions or concerns you may have when it comes to providing care for your loved one(s). Please feel free to give us a call when you're ready to explore life care options for you and your family. 703-558-3435