Elder Care in Casa Grande AZ
Good hygiene is important for everyone regardless of age, but the process of showering or bathing can become more challenging for an elderly adult who is dealing with balance, mobility, range of motion, or strength issues. Introducing simple tools that make showering or bathing easier for your aging loved one can help them to maintain more of their independence during this activity. This can not only help them to stay physically safer and healthier, but can also promote better mental and emotional health as well.
Some tools that can help make showering or bathing easier for your aging loved one include:
- Bath chair. Getting into and out of the bath can be challenging for your aging parent if they are suffering from mobility issues, balance problems, or loss of range of motion. A bath chair allows your parent to sit down and then be moved mechanically into the bath. They are then lifted up and brought out of the tub to avoid having to climb out.
- Shower bench. If your parent's bathroom is not able to accommodate a mechanical chair or they do not need as extensive of an intervention, a shower bench can still be useful. This tool is simply placed in the shower so that your parent can sit down while they are washing. This reduces the strain that they are under while showering and reduces the chances of falling. Sitting down also makes it easier for your parent to access all parts of their body for more independent bathing.
- Long-handled sponge. The act of reaching and bending to wash parts of their body that are more difficult to access, such as the bottoms of their feet or their back, can be very difficult for an elderly adult who is suffering from mobility, balance, or range of motion issues. A long-handled sponge gives them more control and allows them to access these body parts without the potentially difficult and dangerous moves.
- Bath step. The several inches that your parent must step up to climb into a standard bathtub can be a tremendous challenge for them. A bath step is an easy way to eliminate this difficulty and get your parent into the bath or shower more quickly and easily. The steps are designed to prevent slips and provide a stable, gentle lift up and then an easy lowering down into the tub, then when they are down, a comfortable transfer back out.
- Shampoo dispenser. Trying to manage large bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash can be difficult, and actually dispensing the product can be even harder, if your parent deals with mobility, range of motion, or strength problems. A shampoo dispenser attaches to the wall and provides an easy way for your parent to get to the products that they need without having to bend, lean, or reach. They also dispense the ideal amount, preventing waste and keeping the product off of the floor so it is less slippery.
If your aging parent has been having difficulties showering or bathing, now may be the ideal time for you to consider elder care. An elderly home care services provider can offer personalized, dignified, and respectful assistance that ensures your parent is bathed appropriately, safely, and efficiently, while also promoting as much independence as possible.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Casa Grande, AZ, plesase contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare today: 480-377-6770.