Holiday visits are a valuable opportunity to learn more about your parent, check in on their health and well-being, and identify any changes or challenges that might indicate they are in need of further care. This is especially important if you live at a distance from your parent and are not able to be with your senior as often as you'd like to be. Visiting gives you the chance to notice changes that have occurred since you last saw them.
Some things to pay attention to about your parent during holiday visits that might indicate they would benefit from care include:
- Weight loss that has occurred quickly or that has left them underweight. If they are wearing baggy clothing, pay attention to how they feel when you hug them to see if they feel bony or underweight. This might indicate problems with their nutrition, oral health problems, cognitive functioning decline, or other serious health problems
- They are wearing clothing that is stained, torn, or otherwise not in good condition. This could indicate depression or cognitive functioning decline
- They are wearing clothing that is inappropriate for the situation, such as clothing from another season, that doesn't go together, or that is inappropriate for the formality of the event. This could indicate cognitive functioning decline
- They have body odor. This might indicate they are struggling with depression and loss of motivation, cognitive functioning decline that makes them unable to remember when or how to bathe, incontinence issues, or mobility problems
- Signs of injuries such as bruises, cuts, scrapes, or skin discoloration that might indicate they are struggling with mobility problems increasing the chances of injury
Whether your parent has recently started struggling with challenges, has been showing signs of limitations, or you simply feel they would benefit from more diversified care, now may be the ideal time for you to consider elder care for them. The offerings of an elderly home care services provider are completely customizable. This means your parent will get exactly what they need as an individual. Whether this is occasional assistance for a particular challenge, regular companionship, or more intensive care needs every day, both of you can feel confident they will have exactly what is right for them. For your parent, this means a more fulfilling and meaningful quality of life. For you, this means less stress, more time and flexibility in your schedule, and the ability to focus your energy and efforts in the most effective ways possible.
If you or an aging loved one is considering elder care in Gilbert, AZ, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare today: 480-377-6770.