National Home Health Care Month is a time to honor the families, friends and professional caregivers dedicated to helping older adults and disabled individuals remain in their homes. It is also a time to bring awareness to home health care services and understand the potential value in your loved one's life.
Home health care is the first option for a growing number of people in the United States. Industry growth has been fostered by an aging population, the prevalence of chronic disease, strengthening physician acceptance of home care and a continued movement toward cost-efficient treatment options from public and private payers. The home health care industry grew 4.8% from 2008-2013. (www.ibisworld.com)
SYNERGY HomeCare, a private provider of non-medical in-home care, says demand for such services is growing: Every day more than 10,000 Baby Boomers are turning 65, says company CEO Peter Tourian. Getting care at home, Tourian tells ABC News, can be less costly than getting it in a nursing home or other non-home venue. The average Synergy client pays $18,000 a year for 20 hours a week of care. The average annual cost per patient for a year's stay in a nursing home, he says, is $70,000. (abcnews.go.com - April 23, 2013)
Home health care providers can be categorized as non-medical care and medical care. While non-medical care is more affordable it does not provide medical treatment or care. Agencies that provide medical care tend to be more expensive and may not include other non-medical care. It is important for individuals to determine what their needs are before determining what type of agency to contact. It is possible to retain both types of caregivers, medical and non-medical, if necessary. Another consideration is whether or not to hire an individual or independent contractor on your own instead of using an agency.
If you hire privately, you become the employer of the caregiver. The following are just a few of the things you must take into consideration when hiring privately.
- Once you hire a caregiver privately, you are responsible for all state and federal payroll taxes.
- You must obtain Workers Compensation Insurance or make sure your private caregiver comes with insurance. If not, you could be responsible for any injuries claimed to have happened while working at your home. How will you pay for any claims of disability if they are filed against you?
- What happens if the private person doesn’t show up for work? Are you prepared to stay home and take care of your loved one?
- If the care is for you, are you prepared to be left alone without care if the caregiver does not show up?
- Are you capable of running a comprehensive, national criminal background check?
- Is the private caregiver bonded against theft?
- Who will supervise him/her?
If you choose to use an agency be sure that they meet the criteria below and will respond immediately to your home care needs.
- They should have someone available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- They should guarantee that services will always be provided.
- Their employees should be bonded against theft.
- The attendants should be company employees, not contract employees. They should screen their employees and have national criminal background checks run on each of them.
- No one should ever show up at your home without an introduction and agency identification.
- They should provide periodic visits to your home in order to check on their employee and to make sure that you are happy with the services you’re receiving.
Synergy HomeCare offers all the criteria above so that you can feel confident about the quality of care you or your loved one will receive. Here are some of the services that Synergy HomeCare can provide for you:
- Care Management - We work with healthcare providers and family members
- Personal Assistance – Bathing, dressing and incontinence care
- Transportation – Doctor appointments, errands and social activities
- Meals – Meal planning, preparation and feeding assistance
- Light housekeeping – Laundry, change of linens, bathroom and kitchen cleaning
- Companionship – Friendly, supportive conversation and encourage light exercise
- 24 Hour Care – We provide live-in care and hourly care to meet your needs
SYNERGY HomeCare is excited to be recognized by Home Care Pulse as a National Endorsed Provider of non-medical home care! We are also excited to receive the Best of Home Care Award. These distinctions are based on feedback from SYNERGY HomeCare clients. Our caregivers are rated on over a dozen categories, including the quality of care provided, the quality of the caregivers, and the responsiveness of our office staff.
Contact SYNERGY HomeCare of North Orange County today and find out how home health care can help you or your loved ones stay at home and get the help that is needed. SYNERGY Home Care of North Orange County provides services to residents of Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Brea, Orange, Placentia, Fullerton, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Silverado, Foothill Ranch, Santa Ana and most cities in North Orange County.