Exercise doesn’t have to be strenuous, or even complicated. Research shows that a daily walk can lead to numerous health benefits, helping you:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mood
- Improve your balance and coordination
Maintaining proper walking technique is important when seeking health benefits and avoiding injury, especially when turning your routine into a brisk walk or stride. Ideally, here's how you'll look when you're walking:
- Your head is up. You're looking forward, not at the ground.
- Your neck, shoulders and back are relaxed, not stiffly upright.
- You're swinging your arms freely with a slight bend in your elbows. A little pumping with your arms is OK.
- Your stomach muscles are slightly tightened and your back is straight, not arched forward or backward.
- You're walking smoothly, rolling your foot from heel to toe.
Although a brisk walk may seem like an easy task, it may not come as easy to aging seniors or those who struggle with mobility. If you’re concerned that your senior parent is becoming more inactive with age, contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside or Anaheim Hills. Our caregivers work to not only be your parent’s home health expert, they also recognize the importance of companionship and work to:
- Encourage light exercise. Our senior companions can accompany your family member on walks and help them gain greater mobility, quality of life and independence.
- Plan and encourage social activities. Staying active and maintaining a level of independence are important for the health and happiness of your senior parent. Our home care professionals work to keep your loved one connected to family and friends.
- Provide friendly and supportive conversation. When your loved one is looking to reminisce, our home health companions are friendly and attentive listeners.
- Encourage active thinking. Staying mentally and socially active can help ward off the mental decline we associate with aging. If your senior parent suffers from Alzheimer’s or dementia, our home care companions will work to keep your aging parent mentally stimulated and will help structure pastimes, hobbies and games to keep your senior parent interactive and engaged.
If you’d like to accompany your senior parent on a walk and gather with friends and community members, consider participating in a local Walk to End Alzheimer’s event at a location near you. Held annually in more than 600 communities nationwide, the Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s is the world’s largest event to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Local walks:
South Orange County, September 17, 2016
8 a.m. Orange County Great Park, C Street, Irvine
Huntington Beach, October 1, 2016
8 a.m. at Bolsa Chica State Beach, 17851 Pacific Coast Highway
Inland Empire, October 22, 2016
7 a.m. at Citizens Business Bank Arena, 4000 Ontario Center
Anaheim, November 5, 2016
8 a.m. at Yorba Regional Park, 7600 East La Palma Avenue
Before you begin any walking routine, remember to:
- Get the right gear. Choose shoes with proper arch support, a firm heel and thick flexible soles to cushion your feet and absorb shock. Wear comfortable clothes and gear appropriate for various types of weather. If you walk outdoors when it's dark, wear bright colors or reflective tape for visibility.
- Choose your course carefully. If you'll be walking outdoors, avoid paths with cracked sidewalks, potholes, low-hanging limbs or uneven turf. If the weather isn't appropriate for walking, consider walking in a shopping mall that offers open times for walkers.
- Warm up. Walk slowly for 5-10 minutes to warm up your muscles and prepare your body for exercise.
- Cool down. At the end of your walk, walk slowly for 5-10 minutes to help your muscles cool down.
- Stretch. After you cool down, gently stretch your muscles. If you'd rather stretch before you walk, remember to warm up first.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at /agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25 . The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected] .