Arthritis is the most common cause of disability among U.S. adults. More than 52 million U.S. adults have doctor-diagnosed arthritis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Arthritis may be caused by inflammation of the tissue lining the joints, and can cause people affected to feel pain and stiffness in their hands, knees, shoulders and other locations of the body. Some signs of inflammation include redness, heat, pain and swelling.
Gradually increasing joint pain and stiffness are the most frequent symptoms of arthritis, and they turn simple aspects of life into a daily struggle. When ordinary activities such as eating, bathing, housekeeping and cooking are hindered by stiffness and joint pain, quality of life and safety is jeopardized.
If your senior parent suffers from arthritis, inflammation and joint pain that can negatively affect their nutrition, personal hygiene and mobility, consider reaching out to SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside or Anaheim Hills. We offer skilled home health care to your aging loved one –the assistance of a skilled caregiver can help your loved one maintain a healthy lifestyle.
SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside and Anaheim Hills offers customized care plans for each individual suffering from Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, chronic illness, stroke recovery, cancer, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, arthritis and more.
Depending on your senior parent’s specific needs, care might range from light housekeeping and meal preparation to restroom assistance and round-the-clock safety. Your customized care plan can include:
- Light housekeeping and running errands
- Changing linens, laundry and ironing
- Transfer to/from bed, wheelchair, etc.
- Help with bathing, dressing and grooming
- Scheduling appointments and social activities
- Light exercise, light gardening and transportation
- Nutritious meal planning and preparation
- Assistance with mealtime feeding and restroom use
- Safety and medication reminders
- Standby assistance with morning and evening routines
- Friendly conversation and emotional support
If you’re looking for some at-home remedies to help your senior parent ease their joints into exercise and encourage mobility, consider these tips (remember, if you push too hard, you can overwork the muscles and worsen joint pain – take it easy!):
- Keep the impact low. Low impact exercises like stationary or recumbent bicycles, elliptical trainers or exercise in the water help keep joint stress low while you move.
- Apply heat. Heat can relax your joints and muscles and relieve any pain you have before you begin. Heat treatments – warm towels, hot packs or a shower – should be warm, not painfully hot, and should be applied for about 20 minutes.
- Move gently. Move your joints gently at first to warm up. You might begin with range-of-motion exercises for 5-10 minutes before you move on to strengthening or aerobic exercises.
- Go slowly. Exercise with slow and easy movements. If you feel pain, take a break. Sharp pain and pain that is stronger than your usual joint pain might indicate something is wrong. Slow down if you notice swelling or redness in your joints.
- Ice afterward. Apply ice to your joints for up to 20 minutes as needed after activity, especially after activity that causes joint swelling.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at /agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca2. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected].