Does your senior parent struggle with balance or slow reflexes? Falls act as an enormous threat to the health of your aging parent, and can reduce their ability to remain independent. One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
If your senior parent struggles with balance, reduced muscle strength, poor vision or medication side effects, they may be at risk for enduring a fall. Help your senior parent avoiding falling both outdoors and indoors with these tips:
- Encourage your aging parent to use a cane or walker
- Prevent slips by purchasing your senior parent with rubber-soled shoes
- Encourage your senior parent to walk on grass when sidewalks are slick
- Place salt or cat litter on icy sidewalks
- Keep rooms free of clutter, especially on floors
- Use plastic or carpet runners on slippery floors and walkways (make sure plastic and carpets have skid-proof backs or are tacked to the floor)
- Buy your senior parent with no-slip, non-skid socks
- Ensure that your parent’s home is well-lit with ample lighting
- Put grab bars on bathroom walls near tub, shower, and toilet
- Use a non-skid bath mat in the shower or tub
- Place a flashlight next to your senior parent’s bed
If you’re unable to regularly check in on your aging parent, and you fear that your senior parent is at-risk for a fall injury, call Synergy Homecare Corona, Riverside or Anaheim Hills. Our home health caregivers can help reduce your senior parent’s fall risk by ensuring that your aging parent lives in a safe home environment.
Our trained home health caregivers can help your loved one work to prevent falls daily. Your senior parent may need some assistance staying mobile, and we can help them stay independent and reduce the risk of falling by encouraging light exercise, helping them connect with their doctor to review their medications and assisting them with the coordination of installing shower/bathtub grab bars and stairway railings.
Our caregivers can help your parent bathe and shower safely, and are also trained to provide full assistance with restroom use, all with utmost respect, professionalism and sensitivity to privacy. Call Synergy HomeCare Corona, Riverside or Anaheim Hills to help your senior parent avoid the risk of moderate-to-severe falls.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
Synergy HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25 . The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected] .