June is Men’s Health Month, a national observance to raise awareness about health care for men. Men die 5 years earlier than women and die at higher rates from heart disease, cancer, and unintentional injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Important health screenings for men age 50 years and older include blood pressure, cholesterol, prostate cancer, and colon cancer screenings.
- Blood pressure. High blood pressure (also referred to as HBP, or hypertension) is when your blood pressure, the force of blood flowing through your blood vessels, is consistently too high, according to the American Heart Association. High blood pressure increases the risk for heart attack, stroke, heart failure, kidney disease or failure, vision loss, and other health complications.
- Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in your blood. Your body needs cholesterol to build healthy cells, but high levels of cholesterol can increase your risk of chest pain, heart attack, and stroke. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or “bad” cholesterol builds up in the walls of your arteries. Factors that increase the risk of bad cholesterol include poor diet, obesity, lack of exercise, smoking, age, and diabetes, according to Mayo Clinic.
- Prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in men and “grows slowly and is initially confined to the prostate gland, where it may not cause serious harm. However, while some types of prostate cancer grow slowly and may need minimal or even no treatment, other types are aggressive and can spread quickly,” according to Mayo Clinic. Signs and symptoms of prostate cancer include trouble urinating, blood in semen, decreased force in the stream of urine, discomfort in the pelvic area, bone pain, and erectile dysfunction.
- Colon cancer. Colon (colorectal) cancer is the second leading cancer killer in the United States. Colon cancer occurs in the colon or rectum. The most effective way to reduce your risk of colon cancer is to receive routine colon cancer screenings. Colorectal polyps and cancer do not always show symptoms, but some symptoms may include blood in your stool, weight loss, and stomach pain, aches, or cramps, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
If your senior parent needs assistance with going to the doctor, making appointments, eating a healthy diet, and managing their medications, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers provide quality, compassionate, top-notch care to help your aging parent maintain a healthy and independent lifestyle. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills in-home caregivers provide many in-home care services, which include:
Errands and Transportation Support
- Incidental transportation
- Schedule planning and assistance
- Errand services (grocery shopping, pharmacy visits, etc.)
- Complete meal preparation
- Assistance with meal planning
- Mealtime feeding assistance
Light Housekeeping Assistance
- Assistance with light gardening
- Kitchen cleaning and organizing
- Bathroom cleaning and organizing
- Laundry and ironing
Personal Care Assistance
- Dressing and bathing assistance
- Assistance with getting in and out of bed and chairs
- Assistance with getting to and from the restroom
- Assistance with incontinence or adult briefs
- Friendly and supporting conversation
- Help with planning social activities
- Light exercise encouragement
24-Hour and Live-In Care
- Dependable and reliable service
- Communication with family members
- Maintaining a care journal
- Medication management
- Rotating caregivers
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25 . The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected] .