Nearly 42 million Americans identify as being lonely. More than 40 percent of those age 65 years and older experience loneliness, often reporting that they lack companionship and emotional support as they age. “Research has linked social isolation and loneliness to higher risks for a variety of physical and mental conditions: high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, a weakened immune system, anxiety, depression, cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s disease, and even death,” according to the National Institute on Aging.
Public health actions, such as COVID-19 physical distancing guidelines, have enhanced loneliness and social isolation for millions of seniors, which can increase stress and threaten physical safety and emotional health. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that stress during an infectious disease outbreak can sometimes cause the following:
- Fear and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones, your financial situation or job, or loss of support services you rely on.
- Changes in sleep or eating patterns.
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating.
- Worsening of chronic health problems.
- Worsening of mental health conditions.
- Increased use of tobacco, alcohol, and other substances.
If your senior parent lives alone, Hire a SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills in-home caregiver. Providing your parent with in-home care can help promote your senior parent’s independence and prevent social isolation. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills in-home caregivers provide companionship services to help your senior parent combat the loneliness that is often caused by social isolation and further heightened by the COVID-19 pandemic. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills caregivers can:
- Provide friendly and supportive conversation. Seniors often long to reminisce – to relive happy memories, affirm who they are, or gain insights about their life. When your senior parent longs to reminisce about life experiences, favorite personal stories, or grandchildren, an in-home caregiver can be there as a friendly and attentive listener.
- Plan engaging activities. Staying active and maintaining a level of independence are important for the health and happiness of your senior parent. SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers, who are here to make the best of every moment for your aging parent, can help your loved one schedule phone and video calls with family members and friends during this time of physical distancing.
- Encourage light exercise. We all know that exercise is key to good health, but it may especially be true for seniors. By participating in activities seniors enjoy, they can gain greater mobility, quality of life, and independence. Nevertheless, they still may need a little motivation. Our in-home caregivers can accompany your family member on walks and encourage regular light exercise.
- Encourage active thinking. As part of our companion services for seniors, our in-home caregivers can help structure pastimes, hobbies, and games to keep your senior parent interactive, engaged, and stimulated.
If you’re concerned about the health and wellness of your aging parent, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. At SYNERGY HomeCare our number one priority is always the safety and well-being of our clients and caregivers. Our highly dependable, compassionate, and trained in-home caregivers can help your senior parent stay healthy, independent, and safe at home. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills practices the following safety measures:
- Temperature checks
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) including gloves and masks
- Frequent hand washing and use of hand sanitizer
SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers follow strict safety measures all while working to:
- Adapt your parent’s home environment to enhance safety and independence.
- Provide transportation for medical, community, and social appointments.
- Provide reminders for medication.
- Provide enhanced social activities appropriate to the needs of your parent.
- Offer meal planning and preparation to ensure good nutritional support.
- Provide personal care services including grooming, personal hygiene, and dressing.
- Help with household tasks
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25 . The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected] .