“Most likely, dementia does not increase risk for COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus, just like dementia does not increase risk for flu,” according to the Alzheimer’s Association. “However, dementia-related behaviors, increased age, and common health conditions that often accompany dementia may increase risk.”
Does your senior parent live with Alzheimer’s or another form of dementia? COVID-19 creates unique challenges for families impacted by dementia. If your aging parent lives with an Alzheimer’s or dementia diagnosis, consider the following tips provided by the Alzheimer’s Association:
- For people living with dementia, increased confusion is often the first symptom of any illness. If your aging parent living with dementia shows rapidly increased confusion, contact their health care provider for advice. Unless your parent is having difficulty breathing or a very high fever, it is recommended that you call their health care provider instead of going directly to an emergency room. Your aging parent’s doctor may be able to treat them without a visit to the hospital.
- Your parent living with dementia may need extra and/or written reminders and support to remember important hygienic practices from one day to the next. Reminders and support can be provided by: 1) placing signs in the bathroom and elsewhere to remind them to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, and 2) demonstrating thorough hand washing. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can be a quick alternative to hand washing if your senior parent cannot get to a sink or wash their hands easily.
- Ask your aging parent’s pharmacist or doctor about filling prescriptions for a greater number of days to reduce trips to the pharmacy.
- Think ahead and make alternative plans for your senior parent should adult day care or respite care services be modified or cancelled in response to COVID-19.
- Think ahead and make alternative plans for care management if you should become sick.
We at SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills know that being a family caregiver is an incredibly stressful and demanding role. COVID-19 adds an even more challenging layer to Alzheimer’s and dementia care. Because Alzheimer’s disease affects the parts of the brain that control thought, memory, and language, it’s extremely difficult for a person with Alzheimer’s disease to manage their health and wellness, especially in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Alzheimer’s disease is a devastating illness that severely impacts the life of your senior parent. Their ability to function decreases significantly, and their health can deteriorate drastically without proper care.
Are you able to care for your senior parent living with dementia? Are you able to ensure that your senior parent exercises COVID-19 precautions such as frequent hand washing and cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and objects? If you’re finding that the demands of caring for your senior parent are affecting your life and the quality of care for your senior parent, call SYNERGY Homecare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers are highly skilled and trained to care for your loved one living with dementia in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our in-home caregivers help to:
- Adapt your parent’s home environment to enhance safety and independence.
- Provide transportation for medical, community, and social appointments.
- Provide reminders for medication.
- Provide enhanced social activities appropriate to the needs of your parent.
- Offer meal planning and preparation to ensure good nutritional support.
- Provide personal care services including grooming, personal hygiene, and dressing.
- Help with household tasks.
For more information about Alzheimer’s disease and all other dementia, visit the Alzheimer’s Association website at alz.org.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills
SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is the name you can trust in Anaheim, Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda, Tustin, Santa Ana, Orange and Placentia for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25 . The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected] .