Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States, as more than 610,000 people die of heart disease in the U.S. every year (1 in every 4 deaths), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The term “heart disease” refers to several types of heart conditions. The most common type of heart disease in the U.S. is coronary artery disease, which affects the blood flow to the heart, according to the CDC. Someone suffers from a heart attack every 40 seconds, and each minute more than one person dies from a heart disease-related event in the U.S., according to the CDC.
Risk factors for heart disease include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and smoking, according to the CDC. Approximately 49 percent of Americans have at least one of these three risk factors. Are you or your senior parent at increased risk for developing heart disease? Additional risk factors for heart disease include diabetes, obesity, poor diet, physical inactivity, and alcohol abuse, according to the CDC. If you or your aging parent are at risk for heart disease, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. Our in-home caregivers are trained to help your senior parent lead an independent, active, and healthy lifestyle.
Leading a healthy lifestyle is critical to preventing heart disease and other health issues. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills in-home caregivers can help your senior parent lower their risk for heart disease and heart attack by:
- Helping your senior parent control their blood pressure. High blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease. It’s critical that your senior parent get their blood pressure checked regularly. SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can ensure that your senior parent attends doctor’s appointments, take proper medications, and eat a healthy diet to manage their blood pressure.
- Helping your senior parent manage their cholesterol and triglyceride levels. High levels of cholesterol can clog your senior parent’s arteries and raise their risk of coronary artery disease and heart attack, according to Medline Plus. High levels of triglycerides may also raise the risk of coronary artery disease. SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can help your parent lower their cholesterol by encouraging lifestyle changes and helping your parent manage their doctor-prescribed medications.
- Preparing healthy meals. To reduce the risk of heart disease, your senior parent should limit saturated fats, foods high in sodium, and added sugars. It can be difficult and overwhelming for a senior to go grocery shopping, put away groceries, plan healthy meals, and prepare fresh foods. SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can help your parent eat plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, and whole grains by grocery shopping, meal planning, and preparing delicious foods.
- Encouraging light exercise. Exercise has many benefits, including strengthening your heart and improving your circulation. It can also help you maintain a healthy weight and lower cholesterol and blood pressure, according to Medline Plus. All of these can lower your risk of heart disease. SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can accompany your senior parent on walks and even help motivate and supervise other types of light exercise, including stretching, yoga, and Tai Chi.
SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can also help your senior parent limit their alcohol intake, quit smoking, manage stress, and encourage healthy sleep habits. If your senior parent is at risk for heart disease, or if they need assistance with healthy eating, attending doctor’s appointments, or exercising, call SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills and provide your senior parent with a compassionate, attentive caregiver.
Know the Signs and Symptoms of a Heart Attack
According to the National Heart Attack Alert Program and the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention, the major signs of a heart attack include:
- Chest pain or discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center or left side of the chest that lasts for more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. The discomfort can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness, or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw, or stomach.
- Shortness of breath. Often comes along with chest discomfort. But it also can occur before chest discomfort.
- Other symptoms. May include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or light-headedness.
Call 911 immediately if you suspect that you or someone you know is having a heart attack.
Anaheim Hills is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/anaheim-hills/ca25. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 714- 706-1613 and [email protected].