Two to three cups of green tea a day may be beneficial for your health, according to a study published by Harvard Medical School. Studies suggest this aromatic tea may lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides, which may be responsible for the tea's association with reduced risk of death from heart disease and stroke, along with a reduced risk of several cancers, including skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal and bladder.
“Tea's health benefits are largely due to its high content of flavonoids – plant-derived compounds that are antioxidants,” according to Harvard Health Publications at Harvard Medical School. “Green tea is the best food source of a group called catechins. In test tubes, catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties.”
The antioxidants in green, black, and oolong teas can not only help block the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, but also can increase HDL (good) cholesterol and improve artery function.
In order to enjoy the benefits and deliciousness of this light, fragrant tea, allow the tea to steep for three to five minutes to bring out its catechins, and drink it freshly brewed. Decaffeinated, bottled, ready-to-drink instant teas have less catechins.
Moderation when drinking this light tea is key, however, as catechins have been reported to raise liver enzymes in animals. “Green tea is also a major source of oxalate, which can cause kidney stones,” according to Harvard Health Publications at Harvard Medical School. This suggests that drinking more than five cups of green tea a day might have more risks than benefits.
An article published by Authority Nutrition claims that green tea is “the healthiest beverage on the planet,” and provides green tea drinkers with scientifically-proven health benefits – listed below.
- Green tea contains various bioactive compounds that can improve health.
- Compounds in green tea can improved brain function and make you smarter.
- Green tea increases fat burning and improves physical performance.
- Antioxidants in green tea may lower your risk of various types of cancer.
- Green tea may protect your brain in old age, lowering your risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
- Green tea can kill bacteria, which improves dental health and lowers your risk of infection.
- Green tea may lower your risk of type II diabetes.
- Green tea may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Green tea can help you lose weight and lower your risk of becoming obese.
- Green tea may decrease your risk of dying and help you live longer.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including