Personal hygiene is a difficult topic to discuss, especially when addressing the hygiene of your elderly loved one. Are you worried about your parent’s personal hygiene? Do you find that your loved one is refusing to bathe regularly? Sometimes, it’s difficult to casually initiate a conversation about bathing without offending, upsetting or confusing your parent. If you fear that your loved one’s personal hygiene is being compromised, assess the reasons for your loved one’s lack of good personal hygiene, constructively address your concerns with your parent and consider hiring a home-health professional.
Reasons for your loved one’s poor personal hygiene may stem from:
1. Memory. It can be difficult for your senior parent to remember the last time they bathed. Without defined physical or social activity, it may be challenging for them to distinguish one day from another, thus increasing the possibility of losing track of time and forgetting when to bathe.
2. Depression. Depression affects more than 6.5 million Americans aged 65 and older and creates a lack of interest in many of the important routines of daily life, including personal hygiene. Depression among the elderly is difficult to identify and is frequently confused with the effects of illness, medication and complications caused by aging. Symptoms of depression include:
- Abandoning or losing interest in hobbies
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Weight loss/loss of appetite
- Sleep disturbances
- Lack of personal hygiene care
- Loss of self-worth
- Increased use of alcohol or other drugs
- Fixation on death/suicidal thoughts or attempts
3. Weaker physical senses. With age, senses such as sight and smell can deteriorate. Poor hygiene may be more noticeable to you than to your parent.
4. Fear. Increasing mobility and balance problems can discourage your loved one from bathing. However, multiple bathing aids are available, including anti-slip mats, grab handles, shower seats and electric bath chairs.
If you’re worried about your loved one’s hygiene, health and well being, consider hiring a SYNERGY HomeCare Corona/Riverside caregiver to assist your loved one with essential, daily routines. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers can provide your loved one with bathing, personal hygiene and personal appearance care so that your loved one stays healthy and fresh. Our caregivers are trained to provide your loved one with compassionate, structured care while ensuring that your loved one maintains their dignity and independence.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at /agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .