Getting enough water every day is important for your health. Do you drink enough water every day? Health officials recommend that individuals drink about 2 liters of water per day. Do you drink 2 liters – or eight 8-ounce glasses of water – each day? Does your senior parent?
It’s common for people 65 years and older to suffer from dehydration, as the risk factors for dehydration increase with age. These risk factors include:
- Swallowing disorders caused by stroke, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease or dementia
- Being bedridden
- Having five or more chronic diseases
- Taking five or more prescription medications
- Reduced drinking due to fear of incontinence
Studies of elderly individuals have shown that dehydration increases the risk for constipation, urinary tract infection, respiratory tract infection, kidney stones and medicine toxicity. If you feat that your senior parent is dehydrated, follow these five tips to help prevent dehydration:
- Encourage your senior parent to drink small amounts of fluids throughout the day, rather than drinking large amounts all at once.
- Help your senior parent avoid coffee, alcohol and high-protein drinks, especially in large quantities, because they have a diuretic effect. This leads to a greater loss of body water, which can cause dehydration.
- Encourage your senior parent to drink water, milk or juice with every meal.
- Encourage your senior parent to eat foods high in water, such as fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Fear of incontinence can diminish a patient’s urge to drink voluntarily. Therefore, encourage your senior parent to drink more during the day and limit drinking before bed.
If you’re unable to monitor your senior parent’s fluid intake, call SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside or Anaheim Hills. Our in-home caregivers can ensure that your senior parent maintains a healthy, wholesome diet while watching and addressing the warning signs of dehydration (which include fatigue, dizziness, thirst, dark urine, headaches, dry mouth/nose, dry skin and cramping). Our home health caregivers can also provide transportation services, plan and prepare nutritious meals, provide medication reminders, coordinate with health care providers and provide health updates to family members.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at /agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .