Seniors ages 65 years and older are at a greater risk of developing complications of the flu, compared to individuals who are under 65 years of age, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
“While flu seasons can vary in severity, during most seasons, people 65 years and older bear the greatest burden of severe flu disease,” according to the CDC. “In recent years, for example, it’s estimated that between 71 percent and 85 percent of seasonal flu-related deaths have occurred in people 65 years and older and between 54 percent and 70 percent of seasonal flu-related hospitalizations have occurred among people in that age group.” Influenza is quite a serious illness for seniors.
In order to prevent the flu, doctors recommend that seniors ages 65 and older get a flu shot, as seniors are at a high risk for developing complications from the flu. Those at risk of developing complications are people who have medical conditions, including:
- Neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions (including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve, and muscle such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy (seizure disorders), stroke, intellectual disability (mental retardation), moderate to severe developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury)
- Chronic lung disease (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD] and cystic fibrosis)
- Heart disease(such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure, and coronary artery disease)
- Blood disorders (such as sickle cell disease)
- Endocrine disorders (such as diabetesmellitus)
- Kidney disorders
- Liver disorders
- Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
- Weakened immune system due to disease or medication (such as people with cancer, or those on chronic steroids)
- People with extreme obesity
As long as the flu virus is circulating the communities of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills, seniors should get vaccinated.
In addition to getting the flu shot, it’s key to practice good health habits in order to avoid illness, including covering coughs, washing hands often, eating healthy, and avoiding people who are sick.
Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, fatigue, vomiting, and diarrhea. Seek medical advice if you or your elderly parent develop flu symptoms.
If you or your senior parent is at a high risk for contracting the flu, or of your senior parent is developing flu-like symptoms, call Synergy HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. Our in-home caregivers are trained to provide compassionate and quality care to seniors. Our home health caregivers can help your senior parent:
- Stay at home and rest
- Avoid close contact with people who may be ill
- Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids to prevent fluid loss (dehydration)
- Treat fever and cough with medications
In addition, SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills home health caregivers can not only drive your senior parent to the doctor to receive a flu vaccination, but they can also provide:
- Assistance with menu planning
- Mealtime feeding assistance
- Assistance with and/or complete meal preparation and cleanup
- Standby assistance with morning and evening routines
- Transfer assistance
- Bathing and showering assistance
- Help with restroom use
- Assistance with dressing
- Personal appearance care
- Incontinence care assistance with light gardening
- Kitchen cleaning and organization
- Bathroom cleaning and organization
- Laundry and ironing
- Changing linens
- Friendly and supportive conversation
- Friendly companionship
- Light exercise encouragement
If your senior parent needs a flu shot but cannot travel, or needs assistance with achieving health, safety, and independence, call SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills and provide your aging parent with a home health caregiver today.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. SYNERGY HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .