Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a leading case of vision loss in people age 50 and older in the United States. AMD destroys the macula, which is the “part of the eye that provides sharp, central vision needed for seeing objects clearly,” according to the National Eye Institute. As our population ages, the number of AMD cases is expected to increase to 3.7 million people by 2030. Age is a major risk factor for AMD, followed by smoking (which doubles the risk of AMD), race (AMD is more common in white people), and family history.
Avoiding smoking, exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and eating a healthy diet help to reduce the risk of AMD. Early detection is also critical in reducing vision loss from AMD.
If your senior parent struggles with vision loss, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. “Coping with AMD and vision loss can be a traumatic experience,” according to the National Eye Institute. “This is especially true if you have just begun to lose your vision or have low vision. Having low vision means that even with regular glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery, you find everyday tasks difficult to do. Reading the mail, shopping, cooking, and writing can all seem challenging.”
AMD does not have a cure or treatment plan. However, low vision services exist to help your senior parent make the most of their remaining eyesight. The following low vision tools may help your senior parent cope with vision loss and maintain independence:
- Reading glasses with high-powered lenses
- Handheld magnifiers
- Video magnifiers
- Computers with large-print and speech-output systems
- Large-print reading materials
- Talking watches, clocks, and calculators
SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers can support your senior parent with the following services below, all while ensuring that your aging parent leads a healthy and independent lifestyle.
Errands and Transportation Support
- Incidental transportation, such as driving to your parent’s annual eye exam with an eye care professional, such as an optometrist or ophthalmologist
- Schedule planning and assistance
- Errand services, such as grocery shopping, pharmacy visits, etc.
- Complete meal preparation
- Assistance with meal planning
- Mealtime feeding assistance
Light Housekeeping Assistance
- Assistance with light gardening
- Kitchen cleaning and organizing
- Bathroom cleaning and organizing
- Laundry and ironing
Personal Care Assistance
- Dressing and bathing assistance
- Assistance with getting in and out of bed and chairs
- Assistance with getting to and from the restroom
- Assistance with incontinence or adult briefs
- Friendly and supporting conversation
- Help with planning social activities
- Light exercise encouragement
24-Hour and Live-In Care
- Dependable and reliable service
- Communication with family members
- Maintaining a care journal
- Medication management
- Rotating caregivers
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .