June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month – are you taking care of your brain health? According to the Alzheimer’s Association, regular exercise and a healthy diet can help reduce your risk of dementia. “Dementia is not a specific disease. It's an overall term that describes a group of symptoms associated with a decline in memory or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person's ability to perform everyday activities. Alzheimer's disease accounts for 60 to 80 percent of cases. Vascular dementia, which occurs after a stroke, is the second most common dementia type. But there are many other conditions that can cause symptoms of dementia, including some that are reversible, such as thyroid problems and vitamin deficiencies,” according to the Alzheimer’s Association.
The 10 warning signs of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia include:
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life.
- Challenges in planning or solving problems.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work, or at leisure.
- Confusion with time or place.
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships.
- New problems with words in speaking or writing.
- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps.
- Decreased or poor judgment.
- Withdrawal from work or social activities.
- Changes in mood and personality.
This June, celebrate Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month with a fun and delicious brain-healthy diet rich in antioxidants and Omega 3. Here are a few suggestions for breakfast, lunch, and dessert:
- Blueberry French toast
- Raisin and bran cereal
- Hard boiled eggs and whole wheat toast
- Blueberry yogurt
- Baked cod with whole wheat rice and sweet peas
- Baked chicken breast with purple cabbage and sweet potatoes
- Whole wheat spaghetti with marinara
- Mixed fruit bowl with blackberries, plums, strawberries, and almonds
If your senior parent lives with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. SYNERGY’s in-home caregivers are highly skilled and trained to care for your loved one living with dementia. Our in-home caregivers help to:
- Adapt your parent’s home environment to enhance safety and independence.
- Provide transportation for medical, community, and social appointments.
- Provide reminders for medication.
- Provide enhanced social activities appropriate to the needs of your parent.
- Offer meal planning and preparation to ensure good nutritional support.
- Provide personal care services including grooming, personal hygiene, and dressing.
- Help with light household tasks.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .