Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women after skin cancer. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we at SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills want to shed light on the signs, symptoms, and impact of breast cancer, as well as honor and provide information to those at every step of the breast cancer journey.
Breast cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the breast. Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women after skin cancer. Each year in the United States, about 237,000 cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in women and about 2,100 in men. About 41,000 women and 450 men in the U.S. die each year from breast cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Risk factors for breast cancer include the following, according to the National Cancer Institute:
- A personal history of invasive breast cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), or lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS).
- A personal history of benign (noncancer) breast disease.
- A family history of breast cancer in a first-degree relative (mother, daughter, or sister).
- Inherited changes in the BRCA1or BRCA2 genes or in other genes that increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Breast tissue that is dense on a mammogram.
- Exposure of breast tissue to estrogen made by the body. This may be caused by menstruating at an early age, caused by older age at first birth or never having given birth, or caused by starting menopause at a later age.
- Taking hormones such as estrogen combined with progestin for symptoms of menopause.
- Treatment with radiation therapy to the breast or chest.
- Drinking alcohol.
Different people have different symptoms of breast cancer, and some people do not have any signs or symptoms at all. Signs and symptoms of breast cancer can include:
- A new lump in the breast or underarm (armpit).
- The thickening or swelling of part of the breast.
- Irritation or dimpling of breast skin.
- Redness or flaky skin in the nipple area or the breast.
- Pulling in of the nipple or pain in the nipple area.
- Discharge of the nipple other than breast milk, including blood.
- Any change in the size or the shape of the breast.
- Pain in any area of the breast.
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that women who are 50- to 74-years old and are at average risk for breast cancer get a mammogram every 2 years.
Breast cancer can be treated using several therapies, as treatment depends on both the type of breast cancer and how far the cancer has spread. Treatments can include:
- Chemotherapy, which uses special medicines to shrink or kill the cancer cells.
- Hormonal therapy, which blocks cancer cells from getting the hormones they need to grow.
- Biological therapy, which works with your body’s immune system to help it fight cancer cells or control side effects from other cancer treatments.
- Radiation therapy, which uses high-energy rays (similar to X-rays) to kill cancer cells.
Recovery from cancer treatments can be a stressful, emotional, and even draining experience. We at SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills understand that cancer treatment and recovery can be overwhelming, and we are able to provide quality, compassionate support to you and your loved one during and after cancer treatment and recovery.
SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills highly skilled and trained in-home caregivers will:
- Maintain a clean, safe home for your loved one.
- Plan and prepare whole, healthy meals (meal preparation and nutrition management).
- Schedule therapy, treatment, and doctor’s appointments.
- Provide transportation to-and-from appointments.
- Help refill and retrieve prescriptions.
- Communicate with friends and family members.
- Help with personal care, including bathing and dressing.
- Ensure the highest quality in-home care during nausea, anemia, pain, and other complications.
If your loved one is in any stage of cancer treatment and recovery, call SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills. SYNERGY HomeCare in-home caregivers can help your loved one navigate the cancer treatment and recovery process by providing quality, compassionate, top-notch in-home care.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected]