More than 30 million Americans have diabetes (about 1 in 10), and 90-95 percent of them have type 2 diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Type 2 diabetes is the most common kind of diabetes and occurs most often in middle-aged and older adults. Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body makes insulin, but doesn’t use it the right way.
The chance of receiving a type 2 diabetes diagnosis is higher if you are overweight and inactive, or if you have a family history of diabetes. Diabetes can affect many parts of the body, and it’s extremely important to keep diabetes under control. Over time, diabetes can cause serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, blindness, nerve damage, and circulation problems that may lead to amputation, according to the National Institute on Aging (NIH). People with type 2 diabetes also have a greater risk for Alzheimer’s disease.
Is your senior parent overweight, inactive, or predisposed to a type 2 diabetes diagnosis? It’s possible that your aging parent may have prediabetes, which means that their glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be called diabetes. Prediabetes is a serious problem because people who have it are at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes, according to the NIH.
You can help your senior parent prevent or delay a type 2 diabetes diagnosis by encouraging a healthy lifestyle, which includes healthy eating and physical activity. If you’re unable to manage your senior parent’s diet, activity, and overall healthy lifestyle habits, call SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, or Anaheim Hills. Our in-home home caregivers provide quality, compassionate in-home health care to ensure that your aging parent leads a healthy, safe, and independent life in their own home.
SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills home health caregivers can help monitor your senior parent to help identify if they need to be taken to their doctor or primary care physician. SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills in-home caregivers can help observe if your aging parent feels tired, hungry, or thirsty (which are signs of people who have type 2 diabetes). Our caregivers can also monitor if your senior parent is losing weight without trying, urinating often, having trouble with blurred vision, getting skin infections, or is not healing from cuts and bruises.
If your senior parent receives a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, they will need assistance with managing their diet and medication. SYNERGY HomeCare Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills home health caregivers can help your senior parent:
- Track their glucose levels. Very high glucose levels or very low glucose levels (called hypoglycemia) can be risky to your senior parent’s health. Our caregivers can help your aging parent check their glucose levels at home.
- Make healthy food choices. Different foods affect glucose levels. For weight loss, check out foods that are low in fat and sugar. If your senior parent receive a meal plan from their doctor, SYNERGY health caregivers can grocery shop, plan, and prepare your senior parent’s healthy, physician-approved meals.
- Get exercise. Daily exercise can help improve glucose levels in older people with diabetes. If your doctor provides your senior parent with an exercise plan, SYNERGY caregivers can help monitor exercise levels and safety.
- Take their diabetes medicines even when they feel good. SYNERGY in-home caregivers can also report if your senior parent suffers with medication side effects.
The NIH provides additional tips to help your senior parent stay healthy with a type 2 diabetes diagnosis. SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona, Riverside, and Anaheim Hills home health caregivers can help your senior parent manage their type 2 diabetes by driving them to the doctor, helping remind them to take medication, and encouraging your senior parent to:
- Stop smoking.
- Protect their skin.
- Have yearly eye exams.
- Check their kidneys yearly.
- Care for their teeth and gums.
- Find out their average blood glucose level.
- Watch their blood pressure and check their cholesterol levels.
- Get the flu shot every year, and ask their doctor about the pneumonia vaccine.
About SYNERGY HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside
Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is the name you can trust in Corona, Norco, Riverside, Chino, Chino Hills, Diamond Bar for personal home care. Synergy HomeCare of Corona/ Riverside is part of a national franchise of non-medical home care offices dedicated to providing exceptional and affordable service to anyone of any age. Synergy HomeCare caregivers are available 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, to those in need - including seniors, expectant moms, those suffering from sports injuries and debilitating illnesses, and more. Synergy HomeCare of Corona & Riverside can be found online at http://www.synergyhomecare.com/agencies/ca/corona/ca18/. The location also hosts active social media pages on Facebook and Twitter. Ken and Anna can be reached at 951-280-9808 and [email protected] .