Senior Fall Prevention
In San Diego County there are over 117,000 falls a year for seniors age 65 and older, and are the leading cause of injury and disability. Every 30 hours a senior in San Diego County dies from a fall. Preventing falls is important to help seniors continue to live independently and prevent injury.
There are many ways a senior can fall, but the most common is tripping, stumbling, or falling on a flat surface. San Diego hospital ER departments treat 2 seniors every hour for a fall related injury. Many of these types of falls can lead to injuries like fractures and having the senior require assistance from family members or caregivers.
Fall Prevention Tips:
- Remove items from the floor that may be a tripping hazard
- Remove rugs from floors or add double-sided tape help keep them in place
- Install handrails and lights in all stairwells
- Place non-slip mats in showers and bathroom floors
- Keep frequently used items that are stored in cabinets where they can be reached without a stool
- Make sure lighting throughout the house is bright
- Wear shoes instead of slippers inside the home for better traction
- Be aware of how medications affect you, some can cause dizziness
- Have an annual eye exam
- Exercise to help build strength in legs
Synergy Homecare can come to your home and do a fall risk assessment click on the link below: