American Heart Month is a time to battle cardiovascular disease and educate Americans on what we can do to live heart-healthy lives. Heart disease, including stroke, is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States.
You are at higher risk of heart disease if you are:
• A woman age 55 or older
• A man age 45 or older
• Or a person with a family history of early heart disease
Heart disease can be prevented. To keep your heart healthy:
• Watch your weight.
• Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke.
• Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
• If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
• Get active and eat healthy.
• Talk to your doctor about taking aspirin every day if you are a man over the age of 45 or a woman over 55.
• Manage stress.
Heart disease kills an estimated 630,000 Americans each year. It's the leading cause of death for both men and women. To prevent heart disease and increase awareness of its affects, SYNERGY HomeCare is proudly participating in American Heart Month. Locally, heart disease is the number one killer of Los Angeles County residents.
In the United States, the most common type of heart disease is coronary artery disease (CAD), which can lead to a heart attack. You can greatly reduce your risk for CAD through lifestyle changes and, in some cases, medication.
So, give you and your loved ones an early Valentine's gift and get started leading a heart healthy lifestyle.