The holiday season is a time of joy, excitement, and togetherness, and if you are hosting family in your home for Thanksgiving this year, you are likely looking forward to welcoming them and enjoying time together. As a family caregiver it is important to remember your care responsibilities in all plans you make, and take steps to ensure you can continue giving your parent the best care possible at all times. When it comes to readying your home to welcome holiday guests, this means ensuring your space is still equipped to manage your parent's needs, and keep them feeling comfortable and recognized throughout celebrations. Not only will this help to improve their experience of the holidays, but it also helps to make your care efforts easier, more accessible, and more effective during this time of change.
Use these tips to help you ready your home for holiday guests:
- Consider adding small locks to the bedrooms of the home if they are not already equipped. This ensures the privacy of both your family and guests during the visits, and allows you to control movement throughout your home.
- Make sure there is an area set aside where your parent can have "quiet time" or simply separate themselves from the celebrations if they feel overwhelmed or tired. This space should be separate from the sleeping area of your guests to ensure everyone's comfort.
- Equip the home with plenty of necessities, including toilet paper, paper towels, and basic toiletries such as soap, shampoo and conditioner, and toothpaste.
- Consider typing up instructions for how to use the appliances and electronics around the home so your guests can use them as needed.
- Make the days leading up to and after the holiday easier for you by stocking the kitchen with fast and easy meal and snack options so your guests can help themselves. Bagels, toast, pastries, and instant oatmeal are great for breakfast, sandwiches and salads are perfect for lunch, and freezer meals make delicious and easy dinners that ease your stress.
One of the best resources you can have in your home this holiday season is a home care provider. Taking advantage of the fully customized services of an in-home senior care services provider throughout the holiday season can be an exceptional way to relieve stress, boost well-being, and allow your senior and you to enjoy the season to its fullest. A care provider can offer a wide range of services to help your parent maintain their regular schedule, get the care and support they need, and also participated holiday celebrations as much as it's appropriate for them. This not only helps your loved one to be involved and enjoy the holidays, but can also tremendously relieve your stress, help you to manage your schedule more effectively, and focus on quality time with your parent rather than always feeling concerned about their care needs.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering home care services in Littleton, CO, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare today. Call us at (303) 756-9322.