Home Care in Golden CO
As a family caregiver one of the most important elements of your role is helping your senior manage their medical conditions in the way that is right for them. Part of this is making sure that they get all of the information that they need from their doctor's appointments and can then apply that information to their care once they get home. If you are going to attend their appointments with them, writing down questions before you go can help you to structure your conversation with the doctor as well as ensure that your parent gives all of the important details to the doctor.
Some of the questions that you should ask your parent's doctor during their appointment include:
- Are these symptoms normal? If you think that you know what the symptoms your parent is facing mean, or that they apply to a specific health concern or complication, review them with the doctor. This can clarify whether these symptoms are "normal" for that condition or if they may be related to another condition.
- What is their exact diagnosis? If your parent receives a diagnosis during their doctor's appointment, make sure that you know exactly what that diagnosis is. Get as much information about it as you can about their specific condition so that you can educate yourself on it as much as possible.
- What is their prognosis? Once you know exactly what your parent is facing, talk to the doctor about how this condition may progress. This will help you to know what to expect so that you are better prepared for the care that your loved one may need going forward.
- What is their treatment? Do not just rely on the prescription that the doctor gives your parent. You must also make sure that you fully understand everything about the treatments for your parent's care. This includes the name of the medication, the proper dosage, any specifications such as if they need to take the medication with food, and any side effects that they may experience.
- When should you worry? In addition to knowing what you should expect in regards to a normal progression of their condition, you should also know what to look for if something goes wrong. This could be a severe reaction to the medication, worsened symptoms, or another condition that might develop. This will let you know when you need to get in touch with the doctor again to ensure your parent continues to get the care that they need.
If you are not able to attend doctor's appointments with your elderly loved one, home care can be extremely beneficial. This in home senior care services provider can provide your parent with safe and reliable transportation to the appointment as well as assistance once they get there. This can be particularly valuable for a senior who is dealing with mobility issues and may need help with getting around the office effectively and safely. This care provider can also take notes of the appointment so that you can get information that you need to ensure that your parent gets the care that they need and deserve once they get home.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring in-home care in Golden, CO, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare West Denver. Call today: (720) 263-6060.