How Does the Type of Stroke Your Dad Had Change His Care Needs?


12211 W. Alameda Pkwy
Ste 203 Lakewood CO 80228

(720) 263-6060

Contact Us

Proudly Serving

  • Arvada
  • Lakewood
  • Golden
  • Morrison
  • Evergreen
  • Ken Caryl
  • West Denver
  • Wheat Ridge
  • Conifer
  • Westminster and surrounding areas.

How Does the Type of Stroke Your Dad Had Change His Care Needs?

Not every stroke is the same. The type of stroke your dad has will determine some of his elder care needs after the stroke. By understanding different types of strokes and the common outcomes, you'll be prepared on how you can best help him on his goal of aging in his current home.

Hemorrhagic Strokes

High blood pressure is a leading cause of hemorrhagic strokes. In this case, the walls of a blood vessel rupture and blood leaks into the brain. Surgical intervention is often required to remove or clip off the broken blood vessel.

After a hemorrhagic stroke, your dad will need to carefully monitor his blood pressure. He'll likely take medications and need to follow a careful diet. Plus, he'll have the damage the stroke caused that may have paralyzed part of his body. He will need help with ambulation, transportation, meals, housework, and grooming/personal care. If there is a wound needing care, he may need skilled nursing care, too.

Ischemic Strokes

Ischemic strokes are the most common and the type you probably know best. In an ischemic stroke, a clot causes a blockage that restricts or stops blood from reaching an area of the brain. There are different types of blockages.

A cerebral thrombosis occurs when plaque collects in a blood vessel within the brain and causes a blood clot. A cerebral embolism is similar, but plaque collects someone in the chest, heart, or neck and causes a blood clot there. That blood clot breaks loose and travels to the brain.

What Happens Now?

After an ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke, it's normal for your dad to lose function on one side of the body. He may be unable to move anything on the left side of his body. It could be the opposite. His speech, mobility, and ability to swallow may all be impacted.

If he can't swallow well, there's the risk of aspirating on his saliva. If bacteria does get into the windpipe and travel into the lungs, he may battle aspiration pneumonia, which makes it harder to recover. Don't be surprised if doctors advise he goes into a medical coma while given his doses of antibiotics in order to get past pneumonia.

Once he's okay, he'll go into rehab to learn how to use the paralyzed side of his body. Once home, he'll need help with showers, personal care, feeding, ambulation, transportation, and many other activities of daily living. You'll want to hire help.

An elder care agency can work with you and your dad's doctor to determine the best way to arrange his care. He may need multiple caregivers, therapists, and skilled nursing care services at first. As the need for the additional support changes, you'll still want to have elder care services available to make sure you're not taking on too much. Call now and talk to a representative.

If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Morrison, CO, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare West Denver. Call today: (720) 263-6060.

Shanna Tourtlotte

Got Questions? Talk With Us.


Lorem Ipsum