Dehydration is a very common issue among elderly adults, but it can also be very dangerous. Not having enough water can lead to many health problems and the worsening of other health problems. As a family caregiver, it is essential that you take the steps that you need to help them avoid dehydration so that they can maintain better health and well-being throughout their later years.
Use these tips to help your senior avoid becoming dehydrated, or to help them restore proper levels of hydration:
- Talk to their doctor about how much water they really need in a day. This varies depending on your parent's health, condition, and other factors. Make this their daily goal
- Encourage your parent to sip on water throughout the day. Using a refillable water bottle can make a tremendous difference in how accessible hydration is to them
- Serve your parent foods that are high in water content to help boost hydration even when they do not drink enough
- Remember to increase the amount of fluids your parent takes in if their circumstances change, such as when they exercise, if the weather is hot and dry, or if they are ill
- Pay attention to factors in their diet that can contribute to dehydration, including large amounts of sodium
Talk to your parent's doctor about any medications that they are taking and the impact that they might have on your parent's level of hydration. Many prescriptions cause dehydration and it is important to talk to the doctor about how to handle this dehydrating effect. This might include changing their medications or adjusting how your parent takes them
Starting elderly care for your aging parent can be a fantastic way to enhance their quality of life and encourage them to maintain a lifestyle that is as fulfilling as possible as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on a fully customized schedule that is designed around not just their needs, but also the care that you give them on a regular basis. This ensures that they get the level of care that they need and deserve while also ensuring that you have the time that you need to focus on other obligations in your life. The highly personalized care that your aging parent can receive will be specifically tailored to them as an individual, allowing them to be happy, healthy, safe, and comfortable throughout their later years.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Morrison, CO, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare West Denver. Call today: (720) 263-6060.