Senior Care in Easton, CT - These Simple Changes Could Add Years to Your Elderly Parent's Time at Home
When you’re talking about a senior care patient living at home alone, there are several risk factors with regard to safety. For an elderly individual, there are numerous risks that increase with age, especially as their strength begins to decline. Here are 7 home improvements that can be made to increase safety for the elderly patient at home.
1. Add more lighting. A common risk factor for seniors at home has to do with visibility. As an elderly individual gets older, they are more likely to experience vision related problems. That can make discerning shadows and differences in height, such as a step down from a carpeted area, more difficult to see. Adding more lighting throughout the house can help keep them safe.
2. Changing out a single lever faucet in the kitchen. Many kitchens rely on single lever faucets and this has the potential to be confusing for seniors who may have mental health issues as well as physical ones. Switching to the traditional two lever system for a sink is one way to avoid potential burns.
3. Keeping kitchen utensils easily accessible. It isn’t just the utensils, but canned goods and anything else in higher cupboards that can be problematic. Keep these items well within reach.
4. Replace a low seated toilet with a more comfortable height. Getting down onto and back up from the toilet can be more challenging as a senior’s strength in their legs declines.
5. Installing grab bars in the bathroom. In the tub or shower surround as well as around the toilet, grab bars can be extremely beneficial at helping the senior maintain his or her balance.
6. Installing a walk in shower to replace the tub. If the senior has to step up and over a tub lip, it increases the risk of falling.
7. Considering stair lifts for those who have difficulty going up and down flights of stairs. A stair lift can make a huge difference for the senior struggling mainly with getting up and down the stairs. By solving that problem, remaining at home becomes exponentially easier.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Easton, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.