Elder Care in Weston, CT – January is California Dried Plum Digestive Health Month
In December of 2008, the Governor of the State of California proclaimed January as the California Dried Plum Digestive Health Month. The title itself is quite a mouthful indeed! The following quote is a good explanation of the health benefits dried plums can provide, as well as a little background on why this food celebration came about.
“In honor of the proclamation, the CDPB plans to educate the general public about the health benefits of California Dried Plums and raise awareness about achieving and maintaining good digestive health, so Americans may improve their overall health and well-being.
"Dried plums are a great source of vital nutrients and contribute to a healthy digestive system," said Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. "Additionally, dried plums are important to our state's agricultural process. Ninety-nine percent of dried plums from the United States are grown in California, and we produce over half of the world's supply."
"I consider dried plums a superfruit because of their unique health benefits and also because they're super-affordable, delicious and fit easily into a busy lifestyle," says Dave Grotto, RD, LDN, author of "101 Foods That Could Save Your Life." http://www.tummywise.com/dig_health_month2.html
Dried plums are also known as prunes, yet the name has been changed in an attempt to get away from the stigma of prunes being strictly a laxative food. While all dried plums may be called prunes, not all prunes are dried plums.
Quick facts about dried plums:
- They are a super fruit for digestive health
- They contain a unique and healthful combination of nutrients as well as soluble and insoluble fiber
- They provide micronutrients our bodies use in bone metabolism
- They are high in polyphenols which are strong antioxidants
- They are considered to be heart-healthy
- They have been shown to slow the development of atherosclerosis
- They reduce inflammation in the body
- They help to prevent heart disease
- They are a versatile cooking ingredient
- They play an important role in California’s history and agriculture
- The 2014 crop estimate for California dried plums is 95,000 short tons.
Dried plums are healthy addition to yours or your loved one’s diet. They can be snacked on instead of junk food, added to other foods or blended with water and added to smoothies. They are naturally sweet and are soft and smooth, easy to eat.
When you need a little extra help in caring for your elderly loved one, you can count on elderly home care. A trained and loving caregiver can give your aging parent the assistance they need.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Weston, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.