Home Care Services in Greens Farms, CT
December is here and that means citrus is in season. Chances are you’ve already had the chance to enjoy a juicy, delicious clementine or a tangerine, but you may have passed by one of the most beautiful fruits in the world - the blood orange. Blood oranges look just like a regular orange on the outside, but when peeled and opened it’s lovely red flesh is revealed. Blood oranges get their red flesh from anthocyanins, a type of antioxidant pigment. Anthrocyanins are common in other fruits and flowers, but not in citrus, making the blood orange a truly unique fruit. Blood oranges certainly look inviting, but many don’t know much about this fun citrus fruit and how to prepare it. Read on for some facts about blood oranges and how you can prepare them in you own home.
How to Eat:
Blood oranges can be prepared in a variety of ways. The most simple, of course, is to just peel and eat! Blood oranges can be a great snack and a great addition to a healthy breakfast. If you are looking to do something a little more fancy with your blood oranges, here are some ideas:
- Peel them, cut them into wedges, and toss them into a salad to add a sweet and sunny flavor.
- Peel and chop a blood orange and use it to make a fruity salsa with tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and avocado.
- Brighten up your orange juice by blending a little freshly squeezed blood orange juice in. It will give it a beautiful pink tint and it will add the unique flavor of blood orange - citrus with a hint of berry flavor.
- Make blood orange marmalade by swapping your usual oranges for these lovely red ones.
- Add them to your homemade vinaigrette to add a tangy note to your salad dressing.
It is no surprise that blood oranges are nutritious and delicious. Like regular oranges, blood oranges are high in vitamin C which is an essential nutrient for a healthy immune system. They are also high in fiber, folate, calcium, and thiamine. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables is important for everyone, including elderly adults. So, why not make it fun and add this vibrant and tasty fruit to your usual routine?
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care services in Greens Farms, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.