Caregivers in Easton, CT
Becoming a family caregiver for your aging parents gives you the opportunity to spend quality time with your elderly loved ones, build lasting memories, and show them the love and appreciation you have for them. It can also be exhausting, stressful, and emotionally and physically trying. Caregiver stress is a very real thing and those caregivers who face this stress without proper coping mechanisms to deal with the problems are at increased risk for serious consequences, including:
- Susceptibility to illnesses such as cold, flu, and infections
- Strained social relationships
Simply by nature of the physical, emotional, financial, and time investments required by this type of care relationship, it is impossible to remove all of the stress associated with being a family caregiver for your elderly loved ones. Developing coping mechanisms, however, enables you to face this stress and manage it in a way that is healthy and productive. This ensures you can continue providing the level of care of your aging parents need and deserve on a regular basis.
There are many ways to manage caregiver stress. One of the most effective is to create a daily ritual you enjoy. This not only helps you relax and decompress from the challenges and stresses of the day of care, but also gives you something to look forward to throughout your more stressful care activities. Knowing you have some peaceful, pleasant time to yourself waiting for you when you finish your care responsibilities can help you release stress and anxiety. Having a specific time frame for when you will have time for yourself takes away feelings of hopelessness and lack of control, replacing these feelings with a sense of strength, control, and calm so you can focus all of your energy on giving the highest quality of care.
Your daily ritual is a very personal choice that should include some of your favorite things. This ritual should be calming, pleasant, and comforting, and something you can repeat on a daily basis. Over time this repetition has a conditioning effect, producing a sense of calm and relaxation whenever you think about or are reminded of your ritual.
Let these ideas inspire you to create your own caregiver stress-relieving daily ritual:
- Stock up on books by your favorite author and promise yourself at least 30 minutes of quiet alone time to read each night. When you finish one book, immediately start the next so you do not have to worry about not having your relaxation time
- If you are a tea lover, indulge in high-quality tea, a lovely tea pot, and a tea cup you enjoy holding. Explore a variety of different flavors and styles of tea and spend your time in the evening choosing a flavor, steeping the ideal cup, and relaxing with the smell, feeling, and taste of the tea. Be careful to choose decaffeinated versions to prevent a sleepless night.
- Rather than just taking a fast shower and falling into bed, luxuriate in a long bubble bath. Use skin-nourishing scented body products, light candles, and use an inflatable bath pillow to create a comfortable space. This way you can get clean and also give your body time to unwind, making going to sleep faster and easier.
- Choose a favorite TV show and invest in several seasons of it. Cuddle on the couch with your partner and watch an episode each night.
You should have a daily relaxation ritual even if you need to look for help to care for your parents so you have the time to yourself. Get in touch with the elder care agency in your area to learn more about hiring an in home care provider to offer you respite so you can relax.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Easton, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.