Senior Care in Southport, CT
The decision to become a family caregiver for your aging parents may be one of the most challenging that you ever make. While you love your parents and want to give them the quality of care that they need and deserve, you must also take into consideration the challenges and obstacles that taking on this type of responsibility will put in your path. Making the choice to be a caregiver for your seniors is not just committing to spending a few extra minutes with them each week or picking up the phone more often to check in on them. As their caregiver, you are dedicating your time, energy, and effort to going along their aging journey with them, supporting them and helping them along the way so that they can have the safest, healthiest, happiest, highest quality of life possible.
No matter what your initial feelings about being a caregiver for your parents are, it is vital that you take some time to evaluate the actual meaning of being a caregiver so you can determine if you are emotionally prepared for this new chapter in your life. Acknowledging your emotional preparedness enables you to move forward honestly and make modifications to your plans if necessary to ensure you give your parents the care they need while also preserving your own personal health and well-being.
If you are at a point where you must make a decision about being a family caregiver, use these questions to help you decide if you are truly emotionally prepared for the journey, or if you need to take more time and make changes before starting your care relationship:
• Do you feel good about your relationship with your parents or is the relationship strained by hurts, disappointments, and other issues of the past?
• If there are bad feelings in your relationship, are you prepared to put these behind you and give your aging loved ones the quality of care and attention that they deserve?
• Are you ready to sacrifice your personal and leisure time to dedicate yourself to your parents' care needs?
• Do you feel that you are in a place in your marriage where you could depend on the emotional support, encouragement, and help from your spouse, or would your relationship suffer because of your care responsibilities?
• Are you willing to take on that risk?
• Are you ready to face the physical, medical, mobility, personal, or cognitive challenges that your parents are facing, and be an active and beneficial element of developing a care plan to address those challenges and fulfill their needs?
• Do you feel willing to keep up with rapidly changing needs and make modifications to your care plan as these needs change?
• Are you ready to face the fact that your parents are not as strong, healthy, and capable as they were when you were younger?
If you want to be a caregiver for your aging loved ones but are not sure whether you can handle the responsibilities completely on your own, get in touch with the elder care agency in your area to find out about hiring a home care provider who can be an extension of your care and help ensure your parents get the support, assistance, and care they need.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Southport, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.