Elder Care in Wilton CT
Caring for an elderly adult living with Alzheimer’s disease presents a variety of challenges that are beyond those of seniors who are not dealing with this type of condition. As a family caregiver it is important to recognize that these challenges can impact all elements of their daily life, including tasks that you might view as basic, such as oral hygiene. As with any other senior, it is important that your loved one take proper care of their mouth so that they can protect the health of their mouth as well as the rest of their body.
Use these tips to help your elderly parent with Alzheimer’s disease maintain proper oral hygiene throughout their later years:
• Understand that your parent might not remember why they need to brush their teeth or that they have not brushed their teeth that day, which might cause them to resist their routine or not do it properly.
• Try various different types of toothbrushes to find the one that is most comfortable for your parent so that they are more willing to comply with the routine and avoid potentially painful issues and complications such as damage to their gums.
• Make brushing and flossing a part of their routine so that they can better predict when this might happen and are more likely to go along with it.
• Give your parent short, clear, and easy to follow instructions throughout the entire process each time that they follow their oral hygiene routine. Remember that people with dementia often struggle with understanding and properly following instructions and need to go one step at a time.
• Try showing them how to do each step and allowing them to mimic you so that they feel more comfortable and confident with the process.
Starting elder care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them during the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging loved one on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they get all of the care, support, encouragement, and assistance that they need while also maintaining their independence and activity for a quality of life that they desire and deserve. When it comes to helping them stay healthy, an elder care provider can be an invaluable addition to your parent’s life. By helping them to understand their health needs and creating a routine with them, this care provider can support your loved one in following through with the hygiene needs that they have on a regular basis. This will keep their body safer and healthier so that they can enjoy a higher quality of life as they age in place. For seniors who are dealing with Alzheimer’s disease, an elderly home care services provider can give your parent personalized support and encouragement to help them to make their oral health routine effective, comfortable, and accessible for them. This can include devoting longer stretches of time to their oral health care than you be able to devote, and demonstrating each step so that your parent can mimic it.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Wilton, CT, or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Fairfield, CT at 203-923-8866.