Senior Care in New Canaan, CT - Here are some Warning Signs that Your Loved One may need Help
With advancing age, activities that were once done easily can become increasingly difficult and even impossible at times. When the regular and basic tasks of daily life start to become challenging, hiring trained professionalsto provide care in the home itself will allow your loved oneto continue to live a qualitylife with minimum stress as there would be someone to assist in anything for which help is needed.
It is always difficult to arrive at the decision of allowing a caregiver into the home to provide senior care servicesfor your mom. One may always wonder if this is the right time or if it is good to wait for a while. But the feeling of apprehension that something serious may happen if you leave her to manage herself will persist. To be able to make an objective decision, here are some things to look for which will indicate that it is time for a senior care caregiver to be hired:
1. Here are some activities that are not the basics for living independently but still need to be done:
- Taking medications on time
- Preparing meals
- Cleaning the house
- Answering calls
- Managing money
- Grocery shopping
These are tasks that can be done if the elderly person lives with another family member. However, when the person lives alone, if s/he is not able to perform three or more of these activities independently, it is an early indication that senior care services is required.
2. Somebasic self-care activities that are absolutely necessary for someone to live independently are:
- Changing clothes
- Control of bladder and bowels
- Being able to use the toilet
- Walking (with or without support)
Some of these activities can be made easier by adding assistive aids in the home such as installing rails in the bathroom. But some can only be done with human assistance. Again when a senior is not able to manage even one of these activities, it is a clear signal that a senior careprovider is required.
3. When a person starts losing the abilities of thinking and reasoning, which is usually the onset of Alzheimer's disease or dementia, it can affect the individual's ability to perform any activity necessary for independent living although s/he may still not have many physical ailments. This stage can be dangerous as the person does not realize that something is wrong and will try to go about daily activities. These conditions deteriorate progressively and hence the earlier senior care is provided, the better.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in New Canaan, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at (203) 340-0652.