Elder Care in Stamford, CT
There is nothing like decorating pumpkins with your family to get you excited about the Halloween holiday. Creating fun, personalized pumpkins is a fantastic way to stimulate the mind, encourage creativity and personal expression, and nurture bonded, meaningful relationships within your family. It is also a great way to spend quality time with your parents and their elderly health care services provider so that she can feel like an important part of your parents' lives, and the members of your family can feel more connected to her and get a greater sense of trust and comfort knowing that your parents are in her hands.
When it comes to decorating pumpkins are part of your elder care journey, the tradition of carving pumpkins may not be the best idea. Carving pumpkins is time and labor-intensive, and requires sharp implements that might be dangerous for your aging parents or your children to use. Carving pumpkins almost leaves them vulnerable to rotting and mold, which can limit the amount of time that you can have them on display. Using carving-free methods for decorating pumpkins gives you attractive decorative items for your home that last more than a few days while also ensuring everyone enjoying the craft stays safe.
This method for decorating pumpkins uses simple crayons and a heat gun or hair dryer for a beautiful, unique look that you can easily personalize. It is a fantastic use for those little broken-up pieces that end up in the bottom of your children's art box, or you can plan ahead and take advantage of early fall school supply sales to stock up on new crayons for your pumpkin decorating adventure.
What You'll Need
- Pumpkins. You can use any size pumpkin and either orange or white to change up the look of how the colors appear on the pumpkins. Ones with steep sides drip the best
- Hot glue gun
- Crayons. These can be brand new or used, but make sure that you use the same size crayons for the project rather than very thick and very thin ones combined as this negatively impacts the drip of the wax
- Hair dryer or heat gun
What to Do
- Remove all of the paper from the crayons. Peeling the wrapper off is the most efficient way, but you can also soak the crayons in water for a few hours or overnight and rub it off
- Make sure the pumpkins are clean and dry to help the crayons and melted wax stick
- Break the crayons in half or even quarters depending on the size that you want the drips
- Use the hot glue gun to glue the crayon pieces around the stem. You can use as many different colors as you want to create a rainbow effect or just one color for a strong contrast with the pumpkin
- Allow the hot glue to dry
- Use the heat gun or hair dryer to melt the crayons so that they fill the dip around the stem and then start to spill over
- Hold the heat source three to four inches away from the crayons and keep applying the heat until the crayons melt completely
- Allow the pumpkins to cool until the wax solidifies before putting them on display.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Stamford, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at 203-661-6969.