Home Care Services in Riverside, CT - Air Quality Awareness Week is April 26th through May 2nd
By the time Michael was 80 years old, he had seen a great deal in his life. He had often told his family ever since he turned 75 that if he were to pass away that day or the next day, he had no regrets. He had done just about everything he wanted to in life, shared more than 50 wonderful years with the love of his life, and got a chance to raise three wonderful children and experience their lives and their own children.
After his wife passed away two years earlier, Michael was a bit lost and confused in life. His children worried that his health would significantly decline as a result, mostly because he would be detached and withdraw from various activities and even friends and family members. That didn’t happen, and while his family did the best they could to support him whenever they could, one thing became clear: he wasn’t able to maintain the property or its cleanliness in a healthy and safe manner.
That’s when the topic of home care services came up. His adult children began talking about various in-home care services, but none of them really knew much about it. What they learned was there were several things these professional caregivers can do to help improve the cleanliness and, ultimately, the health of seniors living at home alone.
1. Keeping the house relatively clean. Even though an in-home care service provider isn’t a maid or butler, they can certainly assist the senior with basic light housekeeping. This could include vacuuming, dusting, and reminding the senior to clean on a regular basis.
2. Checking different rooms. A caregiver that stops by on a regular basis will generally have a pretty good sense of cleanliness in various rooms. They could check the bedroom, living room, or other rooms for cleanliness and then advise the senior it’s time to get working together to clean them.
3. Picking up cleaning supplies. For Michael, he didn’t drive anymore and that meant getting to the store was difficult. The caregiver hired to work with him was able to run errands, including going shopping for him from time to time.
4. Educating. Michael didn’t know much about air quality or risks to his health that were directly related to dirt and dust. The experienced caregiver did. By educating him on the allergens and other pollutants that could be surrounding him on a regular basis, it inspired him to clean on a more regular basis.
5. Support During Cleaning Service Visits. Michael decided the best thing would be to hire a professional cleaning service once a week, but because he lived alone, was slow at moving around, he felt more comfortable having those cleaning individuals come to the house when a professional caregiver was there with him.
Air Quality Awareness Week is April 26th through May 2nd. For any senior who has difficulty maintaining cleanliness in their house, it’s a good idea to encourage them to consider professional home care services.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care services in Riverside, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at 203-661-6969.