Senior Care in Rowayton CT
It may be freezing outside, but that does not mean older adults should spend the next few months sitting on the couch reading or watching TV. There are plenty of activities that can be done indoors for seniors. However, many of these activities may require a little help from other family members or a senior care provider. Encourage your loved one to participate in the following activities and it will be spring in no time at all.
- Get some indoor exercise. Walking outdoors may not be an option, but using a treadmill is. This is the perfect alternative to outdoor walking or jogging and will allow the elder to get an ample amount of exercise while staying inside.
- Play bingo. Bingo is a favorite game for many seniors. It takes a little concentration and a lot of luck, but many older adults enjoy the thrill this game has to offer. Find out if bingo is offered in the elder’s area. You may even enjoy yourself by participating in a game or two.
- Use video games. Believe it or not, studies have shown that video games can actually improve our mental clarity and slow down memory problems. There are a variety of games that require your loved one to get moving, such as any game used with a Wii game console.
- Learn a new skill. Your elderly parent can brush up on their technology or crafting skills by take a class at the local senior center. Not only will they be able to learn something new, but they will also be able to socialize with other adults who share similar interests.
- Go for a walk. We already discussed how beneficial the treadmill is to staying active during these chilly months, but did you know walking up and down the stairs could have the same effect? Doing this is a great way to burn calories, improve energy levels, and prevent chronic conditions, including heart disease.
- Bowl. Another classic game that your loved one may enjoy is bowling. It is a simple game that can offer hours of entertainment. If you are concerned that the bowling ball may be too heavy for the senior to hold, there is no need to worry. There are a wide range of sizes for the elder to choose from, so you should be able to find one that is not too difficult for your loved one.
All of these activities will allow the senior to stay active without having to spend anytime outside.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Rowayton, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at 203-661-6969.