Elderly Care in Darien CT
June 3 through 5 are Positive Power of Humor and Creativity Days. If your parent is on an elderly care journey they may struggle sometimes to find humor in their daily life and to channel that humor into creative expression. By encouraging them to do just that, however, you can boost their mental and emotional health, and offer them lasting benefits that will improve their quality of life.
Studies have shown that humor and positivity are not just good for you in terms of making your day seem better at the time. These characteristics also have true lasting benefits for health, well-being, and daily functioning, including:
- Lower blood pressure
- Less stress
- Lower instance of depression
- Better cardiovascular health
- Possible impact on cancer recovery
- Increased sense of flow
- Improved teamwork and cooperation
- More spontaneity
- Decreased anxiety
- More innovation and creativity
- Better outlook on the world, including the self and relationships with others
It is easy to see why encouraging more humor, creativity, and positivity in your aging parent can help then to enjoy a better quality of life as they age in place. Use these ideas to help them to find ways to express these characteristics during Positive Power of Humor and Creativity Days:
• Create a gratitude journal. This is a project that both channels creativity and encourages the dedicated and purposeful experience of gratitude in daily life. Working with your or with their elderly health care services provider, your parent can create their own journal or decorate a simple premade one. They can then record things that they are grateful for each day. This is also a way to help them to see more humor in their daily life. Encourage them to have a separate page each day to record things that made them laugh. This can be great for them to look back on and enjoy when they are feeling a bit down.
• Watch a favorite funny movie. Simply because they know what is coming does not mean that the jokes and situations in a favorite comedy are any less enjoyable. In fact, your parent might gain even more benefit from watching a favorite movie. Since they already know that they will enjoy it, their mind relaxes and starts preparing for the fun, immediately relieving stress and putting them in a better mood.
• Do funny art together. Art is often taken extremely seriously, but that does not mean that it has to be that way. Get creative with your parent by trying to come up with funny art projects to do. Choose a medium that your parent enjoys and stretch your minds to come up with silly themes. You may want to be literal with the humor or you can encourage your parent to be clever and create a piece of art that is funny once interpreted. This is a fantastic way to encourage creativity and expression, while also fostering conversations and sharing with others when they view the piece later.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Darien, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at 203-661-6969.