Elder Care in Old Greenwich CT
A number of older adults, women especially, yearn for the chance to feel and look young again. Because of this, they are willing to shell out hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars on beauty services to give them the look they had in their younger days.
A youthful mind and body can easily be achieved naturally and for little to no money. All it takes is a little encouragement and determination to live a healthier life. An elder care provider can be hired to help you and your loved one create a daily schedule and dieting plan, while also making sure they stick to the schedule.
Here are 5 simple and cost-effective ways your elderly parent can get that youthful glow they want.
- Drink plenty of water. Most people know how important water is for the body, but it becomes even more important as we age. The skin becomes thinner and less able to hold water like it once could. This causes older adults to become dehydrated at a quicker rate. By sipping plenty of water throughout the day, the tissues and skin will also become hydrated for a brighter, healthier appearance.
- Avoid drugs. Illegal drugs, alcohol, and abusing prescription medications will rapidly dehydrate the skin and could significantly impact certain areas of the body. If medications are needed, make sure they are prescribed by your loved one’s doctor.
- Exercise. Squeezing in some time each day for exercise can do wonderful things for the body. It can strengthen the muscles, increase flexibility, and will help overweight adults shed the extra pounds. By staying physically fit, your loved one will be able to fit more comfortably into their clothes. This can greatly improve their self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Rest well at night. Sleep is another necessity to looking younger, yet most elders lack the amount of sleep their bodies need. By getting between 7 and 8 hours of sleep per night, the senior will have more energy during the day, will have a more positive attitude, and will have younger-looking skin if done consistently.
- Eat healthy foods. Older adults who live alone have a hard time doing this since they usually eat by themselves, but a healthy diet is key to a long and vibrant life. Elders should avoid packaged or processed foods, as these usually contain unhealthy additives that could be harmful to their health. Encourage your loved one to cook meals with fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. If cooking is difficult for your elderly parent to do, you, other family members, or an elderly care provider can assist them in the kitchen.
There may be no fountain of youth, but these tips will help give your loved one a younger, glowing look that they are hoping for.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Old Greenwich, CT or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Stamford, CT at 203-661-6969.