Senior care at home is preferred by most older adults.
In these trying times, we’ve all been encouraged to stay at home as much as possible – especially older adults, who are more vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. It’s provided all the more reason for families to explore senior care at home over facility care, for enhanced safety and protection of their older loved ones.
And while safety is, of course, paramount, the value live-in caregivers includes so much more. Here are just a few of the many benefits seniors experience by opting for in-home care:
- Personal, one-on-one attention from a professional caregiver who is on hand to immediately address any needs and requests. There’s no need to wait for a caregiver to finish helping another person first.
- Cost. Families are often pleasantly surprised to discover that home care is, very often, more affordable than facility care. For instance, a recent report from Genworth revealed that cost for non-medical in-home care services was nearly half the cost of a private room in a nursing home in 2019.
- Availability of care. Throughout the U.S., including in the state of Illinois, nursing homes are experiencing financial and staffing difficulties, leading to the closing of facilities.
- Quality of care. Illinois nursing homes were shown to have the lowest caregiver-to-senior staffing ratio, according to a recent report from AARP. Not only that, but a poor rating was given for the use of sedation medications given to seniors whose medical condition doesn’t warrant the need for such drugs.
- Control and independence. Home care empowers seniors to continue to make their own decisions each day, in the environment that is most comfortable to them, rather than having to follow a schedule put in place by an institution.
Additionally, senior care at home has been shown to:
- Lower the risk of infection and injury
- Enhance safety, with screened, trained, experienced caregivers
- Help seniors set and achieve personal goals
- Foster faster recovery and healing after a hospitalization and prevent subsequent visits to the emergency room
At SYNERGY HomeCare, we’re committed to ensuring that seniors throughout the Chicago area are provided with the highest quality live-in home care services to help them thrive and remain safe and well at home.
And as the COVID-19 virus continues to impact our area, we remain vigilant in taking all recommended steps to ensure the safety of both the seniors we serve and our caregiving team, such as:
- Temperature checks
- Personal protective equipment
- Frequent hand-washing
- Social distancing when applicable
- Sanitizing the home
- And other protocol according to on state/local regulations
Discover the difference live-in help at home can make in the life of a senior you love in the Chicago area. Contact the senior care experts at one of the leading caregiver agencies in Chicago, SYNERGY HomeCare, at (773) 868-3183 today!