Elderly Care in Arlington Heights, IL
Finding delicious ways to integrate fruit into your elderly care plan helps you to give your aging parents more nutrition on a regular basis, and can even increase their hydration. Using recipes that focus on different types of fruit encourage you to try out all sorts of different fruits in accessible ways, meaning you get to take advantage of the different vitamins, minerals, moisture, and fiber levels in these fruits and find new favorites.
Mango is one of the most refreshing and delicious fruits available. It is used in many different ethnic cuisines in both savory and sweet applications, but is particularly prized for use in desserts and refreshing, cooling beverages. One of these is the mango lassi. This creamy, mango-packed beverage is served as a cooling option when eating extremely spicy cuisines such as Indian curries. The mango is sweet and refreshing, while the creaminess cuts through the oils that carry the spicy flavor sensation and provides cooling relief from these hot foods.
Of course, you can enjoy a mango lassi even if you are not a fan of the spicy foods. It is a wonderful way to enjoy the deliciousness, fiber, and vitamins of mango without just eating it on its own. For added benefit, you can add vanilla protein powder and flavorless fiber powder to create a filling, satisfying, and nutrition-packed snack or meal replacement.
What You'll Need
- 2 ripe mangos
- 1 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt. You can also use vanilla if you want an even sweeter beverage experience
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups ice
- Sharp knife
- Tall glasses
What to Do
- Peel the mangos
- Use the sharp knife to dice them into small pieces
- Put all of the ingredients into the blender
- Puree until the ice is crushed and the beverage is a smooth consistency
To get even more benefits out of your lassi, try some of these additions:
• Ginger. Ginger and mango go beautifully together, and ginger offers soothing digestive benefits, which is fantastic if you do decide to indulge in that spicy food. Use a sharp knife to cut the rough skin away from one end of a ginger root and grate a tablespoon into the mixture before pureeing for a bright pop of flavor. Keep ginger root in the freezer to preserve its freshness so you can use it for whatever recipes you want
• Pineapple. Enhance the island flavor by adding in 1/2 cup of pineapple. This will make a slightly looser texture for your beverage
Special tip: Boost the flavor and nutrition of future beverages by making up a batch of the original lassi recipe and pouring it into a silicone ice cube tray. Freeze completely and leave in your freezer until the next time you are going to mix up lassis. Use these special lassi ice cubes as the ice in the recipe to achieve the same frosty texture but without cutting down the fruit flavor with melting ice cubes.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elderly care in Arlington Heights, IL, or the surrounding areas, please contact SYNERGY HomeCare of Schaumburg at 630-984-2041.