Many emergency responders (police, firefighers, paramedics, hospital personnel, good semaritans, etc.) make it a practice to check the mobile devices of accident victims in hopes of reaching the next of kin.
In Case of Emergency (ICE) is a well known approach for adding emergency contacts into mobile devices.
Procedure. To make the job easier for emergency responders, please follow these well-established procedures:
- Insure your phone is unlocked and does not require a password to access contacts
- Add ICE as a contact and input the telephone number of the mobile device's next of kin
- In the notes section of the contact page, add the name of the contact and the contacts' relationship to the device's owner
- Add any pertiment/preferred medical information (e.g., diabetic, heart patient, preferred hospital, etc.)
- Add ICE2 and/or ICE3 if the device's owner has more than one contact - this is particularly important if your first ICE contact is difficult to reach
Remember to add ICE contacts to the mobile devices of your favorite non-techies!