SYNERGY HomeCare

410 W. University Drive
Suite 220 Rochester MI 48307

248-608-3970

Contact Us

Proudly Serving

  • Auburn Hills
  • Bloomfield Hills
  • Lake Orion
  • Oakland Township
  • Oxford
  • Rochester
  • Rochester Hills
  • Troy

“Electrical Safety at Home”



SYNERGY HomeCare of Rochester would like to educate our community on safe electrical practices for your home. Many electrical issues if left un-noticed can cause dangerous consequences. In case of an emergency make sure you and your family are certified in CPR and First Aid by your local fire department, if an emergency arises call 911, have smoke alarms throughout your home, an ABC fire extinguisher, and a planned exit strategy.

According to the Vintage News the following are common causes of electric issues:

Arcing: Visible scorch marks near wall plugs or on power equipment signal an immediate problem calling for replacement of the defective device or outlet. If a device sparks, throw it out. “Power bars” are especially susceptible to internal arcing from overloading.

Bad or broken insulation: Relocate power cords from under rugs. Repair or discard any device that has broken insulation.

Overloaded circuits: Toaster ovens, heaters, irons and other high-power items are major culprits. For example, a “2000 watt: hair dryer pulls over 18 amps in a standard 110-volt circuit (Divide watts by volts to get amps). Most home outlets are fused for only 15 amps, so that dryer itself would be an overload. Kitchen outlets have 20 amps, enough for a toaster oven. If a fuse or breaker continues to “pop” cutting off power, there is still an overload. Unplug anything you’re not using."

Feel the heat: Feel the electric cords and outlets after equipment has been used for a few minutes. If it feels too hot to hold, scorching could result.

Short circuit or ground fault: You should never get a tingle when using equipment. That is a sign of a problem inside the equipment putting you in danger of shock or electrocution.

SYNERGY HomeCare hopes that our community can identify and discard of such hazards. If you have any questions, check with your local fire department.

Got Questions? Talk With Us.

ALL FIELDS REQUIRED

Lorem Ipsum