Senior Care in Lockwood MT
Winter weather is extremely unpredictable and in an instant you could find yourself in dangerous conditions while driving. As a family caregiver it is likely that you will be on the road more than others may, making it necessary that you are prepared to handle such an emergency if it arises. This is especially important if you are traveling with your aging parent in the vehicle with you. Even if you are just going to the grocery store with your parent, ensuring your vehicle is properly equipped and equipping yourself with the skills and information you need to help you handle being stranded during a sudden severe winter weather event can help you to avoid potentially devastating consequences.
Use these tips to help you handle being stuck on the road during extreme winter weather:
• Pull as far off of the road as possible without being in danger
• Make yourself visible by hanging something brightly colored from your window
• Stay with your vehicle unless you are very close to a safe shelter. Keep in mind that being out in snow can disorient you and make distances seem closer
• Limit use of the heater in the vehicle to no more than 10 minutes per hour. Be sure to open a window slightly while using the heater to provide ventilation and help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
• It is easier to maintain body temperature than it is to restore it once you are cold. Wrap up in the blankets from your emergency kit to keep warm. Remember that elderly adults get cold much faster than younger adults and can suffer more challenging consequences, so focus on keeping your parent warm
• Eat and drink regularly to prevent dehydration and keep energy levels up. Remember that your body needs a tremendous amount of energy to stay warm, so you will need to eat more calories than you might in other emergency situations.
Senior care can be an exceptional help for your aging parent, and for you as their family caregiver, as you face the challenges of the winter season. This time of year brings additional challenges and demands due to low temperatures, ice and snow, high winds, low sunlight, and extremely busy schedules with holiday preparations and celebrations. This can leave you feeling as though you are not able to handle everything that your elderly loved one needs in order to stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout this season. A senior home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule to fill any care gaps that might arise and ensure that your parent gets everything that they need to fulfill their individual needs while also supporting an active, engaged lifestyle and as much participation in the holidays as possible. For you, this means reduced stress and greater peace of mind knowing that when you are unable to be with your parent or want to know their needs are met during events and celebrations when you are focusing on other members of the family, this care provider is there for them.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Lockwood, MT, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare today at 406-839-2390.