March is National Color Therapy Month. In your role as a family caregiver this is a unique and meaningful opportunity for you to learn more about the power of color and how you can integrate it into your regular care routine with your senior. Color therapy, also referred to as chromotherapy, is all about using colors to influence how you feel and even your health. There are many ways that you can do this, from the clothing that your elderly loved one wears to how you help them decorate their home.
Some of the colors frequently used for color therapy include:
• Green. Green is considered a healing color. It brings to mind natural things and creates a sense of calm, peace, and relaxation
• Yellow. Yellow is a happy color that helps to alleviate feelings of sadness, distraction, and nervousness. Yellow also represents wisdom and can help your loved one feel better prepared to make good decisions. Bright yellow can stimulate energy and appetite, which can be extremely helpful for those elderly adults who are struggling with suppressed appetite
• Orange. This vibrant color is invigorating and can help your parent to feel revitalized and more joyful. It can also stimulate the appetite and encourage more mental and physical activity
• Red. Red is a powerful color that is linked with confidence, strength, and energy. This color can help your parent feel stronger and boost their mental and emotional clarity and energy, as well as their physical motivation
• Blue. A clean, peaceful color, blue helps to create a sense of calm, relaxation, and freshness. This is especially true of the lighter shades
• Pink. Often used in applications such as medical facilities and jails, pink is a very calming color that promotes feelings of happiness, relaxation, and peace. This is particularly true of lighter shades, while brighter, more vibrant shades are energizing.
If you have been looking for ways to improve your parent’s quality of life and give them a more varied, more beneficial course of care, starting home care for them may be the ideal solution. An in-home senior care services provider can be with your loved one on a schedule that takes into consideration their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, as well as the amount and type of care that you give them on a regular basis. This ensures that your senior gets the level of care, support, and assistance that they need while also keeping you, as their family caregiver, at the forefront of their care. When it comes to helping your loved one experience the highest quality of life possible, this care provider can help your senior find ways to boost their mental, emotional, and physical health and well-being, and implement better lifestyle choices into their daily life. This can include selecting clothing with beneficial colors each day, helping them decorate their home with colorful finds, or even planning activities and outings that will expose them to a wide variety of colors regularly.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregivers in Lockwood, MT, please contact the caring staff at SYNERGY HomeCare today at 406-839-2390.