Have you ever had a congested (stuffy) nose? Millions of people believe that a stuffy nose comes from having too much mucus. However, the real reason the nose becomes congested is because the tissue lining in the nose become swollen. This swelling is caused by inflamed blood vessels.
Nasal congestion interferes with the ears, hearing, speech development and even with sleep. Congestion usually lasts about a week, but here are a few tips to help battle your symptoms and feel better:
- Determine whether the congestion is due to indoor or outdoor allergies, cold, flu or something else.
- Blow your nose regularly to get rid of all the mucus. The best way to blow your nose is by holding a finger over one nostril while blowing lightly to clear the other one out.
- Help prevent viruses is by washing your hands. Viruses or bacteria canget into your system from unclean hands. Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds to kill bacteria.
- Drink liquids like water, tea, and juices to help lessen the congestion. Warm liquids are best to loosen up mucus.
- Using a humidifier is a another good way to thin the mucus in the nose. Humidifiers add moisture to the air which can help break up congestion.
- Gargle with warm water and salt to help by kill infection and bacteria in the throat.
- Stay away from alcohol and cigarette smoke. Drinking alcohol or smoking can actually increase swelling in your sinuses.
- Get enough sleep to help restore your health.
- If your symptom last for more than a week without any improvement, call your doctor.
SYNERGY HomeCare of Edmond urges you to always pay close attention to your health. If you or your loved one are experiencing any changes in your health that has affected your ability to sleep, exercise, eat healthy and see a doctor, SYNERGY HomeCare can help. Call us at (405)254-3046 to schedule a free consultation.