When you are choosing the perfect home care provider for your elderly loved one, it’s good to have a few characteristics in mind. A stellar caregiver is much more than someone who has the necessary credentials. This is a person who will be in your parent’s home, holding their hand, helping them dress, reading them a book, taking them for a walk. Here are some things to look for in the perfect person:
- Flexibility. For many seniors, it’s confusing and even scary to be left alone. Will the caregiver be able to stay a few minutes after their shift if the next caregiver is late getting there? This is extremely important, especially for the person with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. They can’t be left alone.
- Willing to pay attention to little things, like how much food is being eaten or if your loved one’s appetite has changed noticeably. Are there changes in the skin? Are there any signs of depression? Will they phone a doctor, or at least contact you?
- Would they do something out of their comfort zone? For example, would they sing along if your loved one wishes? Would they be willing to take your elder out for dinner despite difficulties in eating which may result in a messy look in public?
- Are they more attentive to your senior than to themselves? In other words, don’t choose someone who surrounds themselves with drama. You don’t want problems in the caregiver’s life to cause worry for your parent.
- Similar hobbies or interests is always a benefit! Was your dad an avid fisherman? Think how great it would be to be able to talk fishing stories with someone else who shares the interest. It isn’t always easy to match up interests but if you can, it makes the whole process so much smoother.
- Caregivers by nature are very compassionate people. Most of them are in the line of caregiving work because it’s something they enjoy. Their joy and passion for their job should show outwardly. Personality can play a role, too. You can invite some caregivers to come and meet your parent and see who seems to make a special connection.
Taking the time to make sure you choose the right caregiver can certainly reduce the possibility of clashes between caregiver and your loved one. However, if you decide the caregiver just isn’t a good fit with your elder, you can certainly meet with the agency to make a change to a new caregiver. The peace and comfort of you and your loved one are always the priority. Caregivers and elders often become close friends and trusted companions.
The caregivers at SYNERGY HomeCare are available to talk with you and your family about all of your elder care needs. SYNERGY HomeCare is an elder care agency providing quality and affordable caregivers in West University, TX and the surrounding areas. Call us for more information at 713-364-0756.