Senior Care in Hunters Creek, TX - Discover the Hidden Benefits of Reading for Seniors
Reading is a great pastime. It also comes packed with many benefits. This article will detail some of the benefits that anyone can reap from reading.
Think of the last time you read a book, or a magazine article that was worthwhile information? What do your daily reading habits center on? The instructions on the back of a food product? Here are some great reasons to be reading on a regular basis:
- For stress reduction – stress from your daily life can just slip away when you find yourself in the middle of a great story. A novel can transport you to another place and time. It is a great distraction from the present moment and will drain away tensions and let you relax.
- Provides mental stimulation – keeping yourself mentally stimulated has been shown by research studies to slow or possibly prevent Alzheimer’s and dementia. Keeping your brain in a state of action and engagement prevents it from dwindling or losing its capacity. Brains need exercise too, just like all the muscles in the body.
- Increasing your knowledge – who doesn’t want to be smarter? To know more? To be able to quickly figure out more types of problems? To have a wealth of information at their disposal? You may not remember every iota you read, but the information deposits knowledge into your brain that you can use. It better equips you to tackle challenges. Knowledge you gain is always yours.
- Expansion of your vocabulary – being articulate and well-spoken can be of great benefit in any profession. It also boosts self-esteem and confidence. People with a better vocabulary get job promotions more quickly.
- Increases your awareness – reading about scientific breakthroughs, global events and national and local issues increases the window you see the world through. It helps you understand others better.
- Improves your memory – reading a book gives your brain lots to work with and try to remember, including a variety of characters, scenery and surroundings of the characters, the history that’s provided, sub-plots that are developing and so on.
- Every memory you make forges new brain pathways and also strengthens existing ones. This helps to strengthen short-term memory recall as well as stabilizing a person’s mood.
- Gives you better analytical thinking skills – especially true when you are in the habit of reading mysteries that you must carefully think through in order to solve. The pieces of the plot are given to you one by one and your brain must try to piece them together to arrive at the solution. This exercise carries over into everyday living to help you solve other problems.
The caregivers at SYNERGY HomeCare are available to talk with you and your family about all of your elder care needs. SYNERGY HomeCare is an elder care agency providing quality and affordable senior care in Hunters Creek, TX and the surrounding areas. Call us for more information at 713-364-0756.