Elder Care in North Houston TX
If you are like most people, you have heard quite a lot about the benefits of switching to a plant-based diet. This type of eating philosophy has become increasingly popular over the last few years and is rapidly becoming a common and widely-accepted form of eating that has far-reaching benefits for your health and wellbeing, including reducing intake of cholesterol and saturated fat, encouraging healthier digestion, protecting against worsened respiratory issues, and increasing intake of valuable nutrients from whole foods such as fresh produce. If you are considering making this transition within your elder care efforts with your parents, however, you should also note that the benefits do not stop with just what a plant-based diet can do for your parents' health and wellbeing. Reducing or eliminating animal products from your diet can make a dramatic positive impact on the wellbeing of the world around you as well.
Some things that you should know about taking a positive green step within your elder care journey with your aging parents by transitioning to a plant-based diet, or at least reducing the amount of animal foods they consume, include:
• One person shifting from a conventional diet to a vegan diet will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by one and a half tons in one year
• If every person cut just one serving of chicken from their diet each week, the nation would reduce enough carbon dioxide emissions that it would be like removing half a million cars from the road
• Animals raised for food produce more methane gas in the U.S. than any other source. This gas traps 20 times more heat in the earth's atmosphere than carbon dioxide
• The animal product industries, including meat, eggs, and dairy, produce 65 percent of the nitrous oxide emissions in the world. This gas traps 300 times more heat in the earth's atmosphere than carbon dioxide
• It requires 11 times as much fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie of animal protein than it does to produce 1 calorie of plant protein
• Conventional diets produce 7 times the greenhouse gasses as plant-based diets
• Production of 1 pound of meat requires over 2400 gallons of water while production of 1 pound of wheat requires just 25 gallons
• A plant-based diet requires approximately 300 gallons of water per day while a conventional diet requires in excess of 4000 gallons
• The amount of land area used to raise animals for food is larger than the entirety of the land area of the moon, and acres of land are cleared every day to further increase this amount, putting countless species of plants at risk.
• Start small by participating in the "Meatless Monday" trend. Simply spend that one day of the week not eating meat and then shift to not eating animal products at all on that one day and work your way up
• Explore meat alternatives such as tempeh, tofu, and seitan
• Research the nutritional benefits of different whole foods together so that you can find ways to still get all of the nutrition that you need without the animal products, such as eating a salad topped with chickpeas, quinoa, and olive oil-based dressing rather than with chicken.
If you have a loved one who could benefit from the help of senior care in Cypress, TX, contact the caregivers at SYNERGY HomeCare. We help seniors and their families with many levels of home care service. Call (281) 407-1200 for more information.